Join Truck Conversion Today
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-16-2016, 12:42 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 70
Default Ski Bum Truck V2.0, F450 Rough Road RV

I have been half searching for a replacement for our Ski Bum Mobile V1.0 , I love the truck, but the long overhang and fiberglass construction limit me a bit. I had gotten a quote from Tri Van for an all aluminum body for an F450/550, and was keeping an eye out for cab chassis to com up cheap on CL.

Then I found this truck, Nearly the same body I had a quote for, on a 2008 F450 4x4 frame, which had been stretched 36" to allow for nearly no overhang. It was built as a chase truck for a UTV racing team. I wasn't really ready to pull the trigger for a new truck, but this was too good to pass up. Deal was struck and the truck headed to my driveway.



About the truck, Its on its second motor, the first owner towed horses with it, she attempted to drive it home after the CEL came on, #8 injector had failed, rod ventilated block. PO bought it, had a local shop drop a long block in and used it to go to Vegas for races a couple times. Then it sat, this is good and bad, it has ~4k miles on the new engine, but it leaks. A fair bit. Oil pan, valve covers and #6 injector seal. And the dreaded flex joints in the up pipe. Not the end of the world, but a lot of stuff to remove to get to the problem areas. It seems most procedures on these new trucks is cab off or trans out. Fun.


Everyone home in the driveway, I need a bigger driveway for this many large trucks...


The box is a bare shell.The cabover is 4' tall. Very high interior roof. First order of business is the roof, two vents were framed in, and covered over with plywood and Plexiglas. They leak. So two Maxxfans were ordered and have arrived!


Maxxfans and sealant, first of many parts deliveries.


Continued in next post
__________________

Java230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:43 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 70
Default

The back is insulated barn doors. They will be staying. One will be for exterior storage, the other can be opened to the end of the bed if its used in summer. Four 6V 250Ah AGM batteries can be seen here too.


Design

Condensed version of our current layout. I think it works pretty well. Toilet will just have a curtain, leave a bit more space at the door. Cabover bed for the kiddo, back bed for us, fixed dinette. Counter space is limited, but will have a fold out over the crawl through, and is across from the dinette table that can be used as well. Small bar sink, three burner RV cooktop, and the space below used for a marine fridge. Exterior storage for skis, other tall stuff at the back. Still debating on propane tank placement, I am thinking two BBQ style tanks on a swing out on the drivers rear.







Plans

First order of business is getting the crawl through, windows and doors framed and cut. The crawl through is going to be a challenge, I have some thinking and blue taping to do still, but it should be doable. Accordion seal will be used there. If anyone has done this I am all ears.

Once the framing is done I will have the entire thing spray foamed. I am still debating on ceiling thickness if anyone has input. Walls will be 1 3/4" foam with 1/4" plywood interior skin. Spray foam will be a big $$ item, but I fell it will be worth it in the long run.

Then its on to interior finishes. Dinette and vertical walls I am thinking will be small steel tubing with a thin plywood skin. Maximizes interior spaces of the compartments that way.

I am leaning towards doing EGR and DPF delete stuff to the engine while I am in there, but it adds a good budget hit. It may be a couple years down the road. Lift is a ways off too, but for most of what we do it should be ok for awhile. FS roads and snow/ice covered roads to ski areas. It has brand new tires that I wouldn't mind using up either.

This will be a very slow build. I am very budget limited, so it will be plugging away a bit at a time as budget allows. I will need to sell the RV come spring, and would like to have this one done shortly after, but I think that may be a lofty goal.
__________________

Java230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:02 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
bushpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tomball
Posts: 1,182
Default

instead of 2 fans - id put an Air Conditoner (w/ heat coil) in one of those roof holes.

if no air conditioner plans then at least before you spray foam it run some 115vac/15 or 20a wiring or at a minimum some plastic conduit to the vents holes (for the next owner) and for some overhead lighting....Itll make it easier to sell later.

Interior #1 seems problematic to me - I'd want to be able to slide long items all the way thru to the "kitchen"/Interior and the bed position prevents that.

Also - I wouldn't want my bedroom near the door....too much chance of dirt infiltration into the bedroom & entering thru the bedroom is great (either for myself or guest).

best designed garage units are the once that have the bath between the garage and the living quarters or bedroom (least desired)....this way if you enter thru the garage you can minimize the dirt tracked in....and you can even take a shower or drop your dirty clothes in the bathroom before entering the living space or bedroom.

with an elevated platform (bed) you could gain some hidden storage or room for water tank.
__________________
Don R.
'04 Haulmark (M42386) 42', 2 slide, 10kw - Pictures
'04 F350 CrewCab Longbed 4x4, 50g aux tank & gear vendors dbl over
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:41 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
instead of 2 fans - id put an Air Conditoner (w/ heat coil) in one of those roof holes.

if no air conditioner plans then at least before you spray foam it run some 115vac/15 or 20a wiring or at a minimum some plastic conduit to the vents holes (for the next owner) and for some overhead lighting....Itll make it easier to sell later.

Interior #1 seems problematic to me - I'd want to be able to slide long items all the way thru to the "kitchen"/Interior and the bed position prevents that.

Also - I wouldn't want my bedroom near the door....too much chance of dirt infiltration into the bedroom & entering thru the bedroom is great (either for myself or guest).

best designed garage units are the once that have the bath between the garage and the living quarters or bedroom (least desired)....this way if you enter thru the garage you can minimize the dirt tracked in....and you can even take a shower or drop your dirty clothes in the bathroom before entering the living space or bedroom.

with an elevated platform (bed) you could gain some hidden storage or room for water tank.
I took the ac off our last rv and hove not missed it. We are a but weird, we don't stay in parks, we will be out in the woods somewhere or skiing. Not needing to run the generator or be plugged in is a big plus. I will run come conduit for a future circuit though, that's a good idea.

The back doors are not going to be used for entry, there is a man door just in front of the bathroom on the passenger side. The passenger side will be a tall exterior storage area (skis) and 5he driver side will open for ventilation if the summer.

The layout is a bit cramped, it's only 12' of floor space to deal with. But I think it will work.
Java230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
bushpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tomball
Posts: 1,182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java230 View Post
I took the ac off our last rv and hove not missed it. We are a but weird, we don't stay in parks, we will be out in the woods somewhere or skiing. Not needing to run the generator or be plugged in is a big plus. I will run come conduit for a future circuit though, that's a good idea.

The back doors are not going to be used for entry, there is a man door just in front of the bathroom on the passenger side. The passenger side will be a tall exterior storage area (skis) and 5he driver side will open for ventilation if the summer.

The layout is a bit cramped, it's only 12' of floor space to deal with. But I think it will work.
no doubt its nice, (in your area) not to need AirConditioning but from a resale perspective its market limiting.

the wiring makes it easiy for the next buyer.

Have you thought about solar panels on the roof? Or the option to add them (later)? better to have access to wiring/options now before you spray foam and cover it.


I understand that the entry point is via the side...but w/ those big rear doors remaining in place I can't imaging the rear doors not being used....even if you built a wall for isolated/enclosed storage & then added a pocket door in the wall you'd get some purpose out of it.
__________________
Don R.
'04 Haulmark (M42386) 42', 2 slide, 10kw - Pictures
'04 F350 CrewCab Longbed 4x4, 50g aux tank & gear vendors dbl over
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
no doubt its nice, (in your area) not to need AirConditioning but from a resale perspective its market limiting.

the wiring makes it easiy for the next buyer.

Have you thought about solar panels on the roof? Or the option to add them (later)? better to have access to wiring/options now before you spray foam and cover it.


I understand that the entry point is via the side...but w/ those big rear doors remaining in place I can't imaging the rear doors not being used....even if you built a wall for isolated/enclosed storage & then added a pocket door in the wall you'd get some purpose out of it.
AC would be nice to have at times, but we manage. Also the roof is already at ~12' i dont want to add too much more height.

I do have a conduit and an an enclose with two glands on the roof. I am going back and fourth on portable panels vs on the roof.

I see what your saying about the back doors now. Its a possibility, but the passenger side will have a wall, and the divers side you will have to crawl across the bed thats 24" AFF.
Java230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 70
Default

A little progress today. Light goes fast after work these days!

hmmmm leaking roof "vent"


Pull off plywood, scrub with MEK


MaxxFan shroud, covered in sticky stuff.


Roof hole #1 done! Only broke one screw off. Stupid stainless.
Java230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
bushpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tomball
Posts: 1,182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java230 View Post
AC would be nice to have at times, but we manage. Also the roof is already at ~12' i dont want to add too much more height.

I do have a conduit and an an enclose with two glands on the roof. I am going back and fourth on portable panels vs on the roof.

I see what your saying about the back doors now. Its a possibility, but the passenger side will have a wall, and the divers side you will have to crawl across the bed thats 24" AFF.
Height will be the next owners problem Keeping it under 13' means you can go just about anywhere. Most of us are 13'1" but under 13'6".

FWIW - The Coleman-Mach 8 AC unit only adds 8" of height.

They drawl between less than 2kw (15k BTU), so they can be run w/ a small whisper quiet portable (Honda)....the 8k BTU unit barely exceeds 1500w (In desert conditions)...nominally it only pulls 1200w
__________________
Don R.
'04 Haulmark (M42386) 42', 2 slide, 10kw - Pictures
'04 F350 CrewCab Longbed 4x4, 50g aux tank & gear vendors dbl over
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Seattle
Posts: 70
Default

That's not bad actually. I'll look into it. We will be using a Honda 2000eu for gen set.

We do a lot of forest service roads, so keeping height down is needed... It's a bit taller than my previous truck....
Java230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:14 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Bob86ZZ4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,697
Default

I'm with Don, put an a/c unit in. Or at minimum run the 12 gauge romex up there and some low voltage wire for the thermostat.
__________________

__________________
'03 Freightliner FL112, 295" wheel base, with '03 United Specialties 26' living quarters, single screw, Cat C12 430 h/p 1650 torque, Eaton 10speed , 3.42 rear axle ratio
Bob86ZZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.