Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community > Truck Conversion Talk > Building Your Own
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-01-2017, 10:06 AM   #201

Quick overnight trip. This thing drive so nice on the road, potholes still suck.....

Stole a rod holder off the boat....

..... and Instant BBQ

Java230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:51 PM   #202

Well the good news is, the 120v side of the wiring is done, bad news is it won't run my coffee maker ugh

But the table is installed!

Great time at the NWOR, we were comfortable, but had one of the most "not off road" trucks there. Either way it was nice. Hung out with lots of friends, enjoyed watching the obstacle course, and did lots of walking around looking at rigs I recognized!

Now I thought I had a leaking window..... Well its not the window...... Looks like our time on rough roads has taken its toll on the roof seams. They are splitting all the way around. Tri Van used an elastomeric of some sort to seal the overlap between the roof sheet metal and the corner extrusions. Its brushed on. Where is passes over the lip of the sheet metal it looks like it was the thinnest point and its just splitting there. Ugh!

This is the worst of split, but actually not leaking as the butyl that is between the pieces is good and thick here.

[B]SOOOOO I get to re seal it all the way around, fun.... I hit the spots that were leaking (place you can see form the interior anyway...) with a bit of sikaflex since it was supposed to rain again. I wiped it with MEK and a wire brush, seemed to stick well.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #203

I think the NO coffee is a no go item..... You need to get that fixed!
The table is way kool for sure!

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java230 View Post
Well the good news is, the 120v side of the wiring is done, bad news is it won't run my coffee maker ugh

But the table is installed!

Great time at the NWOR, we were comfortable, but had one of the most "not off road" trucks there. Either way it was nice. Hung out with lots of friends, enjoyed watching the obstacle course, and did lots of walking around looking at rigs I recognized!

Now I thought I had a leaking window..... Well its not the window...... Looks like our time on rough roads has taken its toll on the roof seams. They are splitting all the way around. Tri Van used an elastomeric of some sort to seal the overlap between the roof sheet metal and the corner extrusions. Its brushed on. Where is passes over the lip of the sheet metal it looks like it was the thinnest point and its just splitting there. Ugh!

This is the worst of split, but actually not leaking as the butyl that is between the pieces is good and thick here.

[B]SOOOOO I get to re seal it all the way around, fun.... I hit the spots that were leaking (place you can see form the interior anyway...) with a bit of sikaflex since it was supposed to rain again. I wiped it with MEK and a wire brush, seemed to stick well.
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:26 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrimm View Post
I think the NO coffee is a no go item..... You need to get that fixed!
The table is way kool for sure!

Sam
Yeah definitely, It works sometimes, then sometimes it overloads the inverter.... Its right on the verge of pushing the 150% of the inverter, which is its surge rating....
Old 11-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #205

The roof issue.....

Across the front. Obviously failed.

Peeled off easily. Luckily there is a big layer of buytyl there, so its not leaking there.

But the sides don't have much butyl, and are leaking. Hard to see but you can see the cracks in the middle (i fixed the worst ones without taking pics)

So I took a knotted wire wheel to that area down the middle allllll the way around. That sucked. But it left me with a clean strip that hopefully the Sika will bond nicely too. I got the bare aluminum primer to use as well.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:31 AM   #206

Center ground down. Scrub brush and acetone came next. Then Sika 260 primer

Front edge got a red scotch brite, acetone. Then the primer.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:32 AM   #207

Not pretty, but should be water tight.

eight tubes....
Old 11-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #208

Ouch, Sika isn't cheap. Isn't there some new roof coating that lots of people are putting on their campers? Can't remember what they call it though.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
Ouch, Sika isn't cheap. Isn't there some new roof coating that lots of people are putting on their campers? Can't remember what they call it though.
I am seeing a lot of people using the new polyurethane-based Bedliners. I thought about it, but the one I like doesn't go over bare metal well. My whole roof is bare aluminum.

Yes Sikaflex is not cheap, but it's bullet proof. I have a case of it in the garage....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #210

This was miserable to get out! But its done. One more clamp to put on, but it was out of stock.

All sensors except this one came out with some penetrating oil and heat. Not buying a damn new one!

Nifty little tuner. Sadly the CEL came on, #6 glow plug circuit failure.... I am guessing this is the one the electrical harness is leaking at.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:40 AM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java230 View Post
I am seeing a lot of people using the new polyurethane-based Bedliners. I thought about it, but the one I like doesn't go over bare metal well. My whole roof is bare aluminum.

Yes Sikaflex is not cheap, but it's bullet proof. I have a case of it in the garage....

Isn't it a pity that we have these fine rigs, with all the great engineering, and we still find ourselves slathering gunk out of a tube onto the roofs to prevent leaks!

I've been fortunate only having one minor leak, so far, but I'd sure like to see a better alternative to the annual trip up the ladder with the caulking gun.
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:38 AM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
Isn't it a pity that we have these fine rigs, with all the great engineering, and we still find ourselves slathering gunk out of a tube onto the roofs to prevent leaks!

I've been fortunate only having one minor leak, so far, but I'd sure like to see a better alternative to the annual trip up the ladder with the caulking gun.
It is unfortunate, but part of the nature of the beast. I do think a bedliner is a great option, I looked into it for my old Winnie. The local guy had done a few, they have white now too which would be far better than black!

Old 11-09-2017, 09:38 AM   #213

Huge thanks to Ryan at Bahn Camper Works, http://www.bahncamperworks.com, he sold me his last shower unit, and it seemingly was the last one in stock in the US. Thanks again!

Not the ideal location above the exhaust, but the only place it wanted to fit.

Super slick, well worth the $$

It shoots a long *** ways! And hot water comes out. Win.

Internal connections.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #214

We did a trip up to explore BC, we went through Banff, Jasper and Wellsgrey parks. Great trip and the first long one in our newly built truck. Amazing trip, lots of fun hikes and great scenery.

Full write up here: https://www.nwadventuretruck.com/fir...g-trip-report/

A few pics from the trip

Old 11-10-2017, 02:38 PM   #215

Beautiful Sites! On my to do list!

Sam
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:23 AM   #216

That is absolutely gorgeous country! Thanks for posting the photos. When returning from AK in '16 we took the Icefields Parkway on our return. We can't wait to get back to W. Canada and AK!
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:35 AM   #217

Yeah it truly is amazing scenery! It was a great trip.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #218

great pictures!
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #219

Awesome pics!
Old 11-12-2017, 02:31 PM   #220

Thanks guys! Another fun weekend