Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 02-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #31

Then add another $1000 or two or three or four to Home Depot for insulation, trim, screws, rivets, hardware, interior walls, wiring, exterior trim, glue, flooring, sealer, more screws, more hardware, and the million other things I have not thought of yet for my build. You'll be amazed at how fast a trip to the hardware store for all the small ticket items adds up. Go back up and read through Blizz's build and look at the $$ layout. Worth your time.

And a word to the wise from my own experience: If you're going to spend that kind of money to build a nice looking box, don't be cheap on some used windows that probably aren't the size you want, and definitely won't be for the correct wall thickness, and will end up looking like a homebuilt. Brand new windows built to order in the size of your choice complete with the correct trim rings for your wall and all screens, sliders, etc. will run you $150 to $250 each depending on the size and openings. I bought 4 for my trailer after learning I had wasted money on "cheap" new surplus windows. I learned the hard way that there is a difference between left side and right side, and they have to be made for your wall thickness or they will not work at all, or will need serious hillbilly rigging to make it work. Compared to the price of the build they are not that expensive to make the thing look right. I've seen too many homebuilds on racing junk that would look good except for the 1975 camper windows they grafted in.

Good luck with your build.

hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #32

Yea I was looking at my RV now and seing how they bolt together I dont see how they would work. My wall should be about 2 1/2" by the time its trimmed out so I will look for some new windows. The things I am interested in recycling would be hard parts generator, A/C, tanks, inverter. All these things have a life span and if I get more time out of them before I replace them then I will be ok with that. I hear you on the hardware store home depot is the the hundred dollar store to me as it is. But for the amount of money I end up spending to build it versus by something I will be far ahead. I am hoping to end up at about 30-35k and that should be do-able so far. That is what I hd planned to spend on a 90 something Class A that would barely pull my trailer and be underpowered. So hopefully everything will go as planned. thanks for your time
Jason

haddixj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #33

My experience has been that a Home Depot orange cart is scientifically designed to hold $400, no matter what you fill it with. lol.

I ordered my windows from Callen Camper. The Callen Camper Company They are a small outfit in CA that builds custom small trailers and pickup bodies. They are setup to buy the windows direct from the mfg. for their builds, and I think they just sell the windows retail to keep their volume up enough to keep buying direct. She was able to get me just the size and configurations I needed. They can have them made specifically to order, and sometimes they have a little better deal if something is on the shelf in the neighborhood that you need. You'll need to measure your wall thickness down to the nearest 1/8" so they can get you the proper trim rings. Mine were a perfect fit, no hassles. Like I said, a little pricier than the surplus stuff, but worth it.

Some of the manufacturers will sell direct now too, times are tough all over.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #34

didnt know there was a left and right side windows? I thought I covered that mistake in my build... you are supposed to learn from my mistakes!

I gave mine to my Elkhart specials to my shell builder, who gave them to a guy that builds Ice fishing houses.
blizz
Old 02-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #35

Blizz, I must have missed that in your build, or I may have bought those prior, but I have learned a lot from you! My surplus windows are still sitting in the corner of my shop 'cuz I'm too cheap and stubborn to give them away.

Anybody out there need some cheap windows? lol.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #36

do you have some progress pictures? I wish I was still building mine instead of thinking of selling her..

good luck with your project!
blizz