View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #30
haddixj

The more I look into MDT it just seems like a compromise for my application. I live in the hills and race in the valley after a long day or weekend at the track the last thing I wanna do is be slowing down going up the hills to get to my house, we have two long steep grades to get home. Plus arent the jake brakes on the MDT harder to find? I have been looking and I can easily find a >240" wheelbase truck single it long and probably only add about 5' of frame behnd the axle. I have any tooling I would need to do the job. So far I have it worked out to use 2x2x.25 on the floors on 16" centers with probably 2x4x.25 around the perimeter. The wall I will use 1 1/2" box by .120. The framing at todays prices is $3200 for the box. Siding is $2160. Another $200 for the OSB under the AL siding. so that puts me at $5560 for a shell. I still need a roof and the corner pieces to tie everything together so figure $7000 grand for a weathertight shell.
not to bad for what you get. I will find a truck for 10k or so single it. only cost incured there will be driveshaft lengthing and shimming the rear for the proper angle. I will probably buy a new RV door and get used windows or use the ones I have in my RV now. If I buy a Class A to part out then I will use all the pieces needed from it. generator, AC's, inverter, windows, tanks etc.
haddixj is offline   Reply With Quote