Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-27-2005, 10:25 PM   #21

.....call AR-nold and have his staff refer you....seems it's the way to get things done.....this is from a friend in Rancho Cucamonga......geofkaye

Old 09-28-2005, 12:34 AM   #22

Professor, FYI. This ad was on ebay a week or two ago and the tractor is still available.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte...%3AL%3ALCA%3AUS%3A11

We design and build one at a time coaches in either the toter, MH or garage config. The Volvo in the ad is a marvelous truck. You can also see our website at www.toolsetmotorhomes.com

I would be happy to discusss your upcoming project with in any case. I teach too at a local art college and am trained as an architect. Hence our emphasis on design.

anthony desnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 05:35 PM   #23

On your questions 6 and 7, about mapping software and clearances. There are applications for commercial trucking that would probably work. Although they are a bit pricy compared to something like Streets and Trips.

We have used PCMiler where I work in the past, they seemed to like it. They put out a package called CoPilot without all the freight rating functions.
CoPilot

I also found ProMiles. I've heard of it, but don't know anything else about it.
ProMiles

-lee
GypsyProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:28 PM   #24

Maybe I can help put this in context.

My rig is an oddball: a very early truck conversion (1988) based on a commercial chassis all right...a Ford F450 of all things. Despite this "lowly" underpinning it's built like a truck conversion vs. RV, 2" square steel tube frame, riveted aluminum skin. 36ft overall; directly over the cab of the "pickup truck nose" is an adult-size single bed, and then in it's original form the back 1/3rd or so was open - meant for hauling race cars.

Here's it's original form:

http://www.equalccw.com/hansenmods.pdf

What should finally be finished TOMORROW!!! is a walling-off of the rear plus creation of a new room underneath the upper rear bedroom (above where the car hood used to go).

So in it's final form I'll have a garage of about 9ft long, full height and width, with a workbench on one side and a ramp door of only half width. I'm a biker but otherwise I'm doing more or less what you're planning .

Now, my rig will be flat maxed on weight and won't be able to tow squat, but that's OK for me.

What should be of more interest to YOU is that my living space area will be pretty minimal. But I'm single so that's no biggie. In your case, even if you went to a 40ft or 45ft rig, with 16ft gone for the garage space living space will be damned minimal for two.

Second issue: a 45ft overall length rig will be more annoying to deal with than a 35ft rig towing an enclosed car hauler of 22ft or so overall. Esp. in urban areas - it all comes down to cornering room, and adapting to a 45ft is pretty nasty.

If you start with a Class7 or 8 instead of my Class4 you'll have lots of towing capacity for the car hauler.

Used truck conversions without a garage are relatively common and don't command the high prices of the best garage models. I've found that the best deals are either here or on http://www.racingjunk.com - look under "towing", not "recreational vehicles".

Now. If you REALLY don't want to tow anything, there's a way to get it done in a 40ft or so. You need your master bedroom to be about 5ft high and at least partially over the car. This means having the rearmost section of the living area/garage at the height of the TOP of the rooftop air conditioners to save as much vertical height as possible...the roof is "stepped" higher in the rear. Basically, if the car fits in 5ft vertical this is all doable...the garage floor needs to be 3ft off the ground or less, now you've got a 5ft bedroom, similar to how a lot of 5th Wheel RVs work at the front.

But this is going to need to be done custom...no going to the used market to save money. And to be honest, if you're going to spend that kind of coin, you might think switching to a shorter car, a hatchback or something in the 12-13ft range to maximize living area. Remember, the car will be a runabout - if you go to Costco or whatever to pick up bulk items, you're going to take the whole RV, just as I wouldn't haul a whole week's worth of groceries on a sportbike, I'd take my rig.

While my rig started out with the master bed over part of a car storage area, I've set up my remaining garage full-height because I want to use part as a workshop, the half not holding a bike. I've also got a washer/dryer under the workbench, storage, etc. If you do the rear bedroom over the car gag, you'll lose that possibility. On the other hand, if you use an enclosed car hauler with 20ft inside length and hold a 13ft car, you too get a workshop area, if you care about that.

The good news with enclosed runabout vehicle storage (car or bike) is that nobody can tell driving by if you're there or not. Better for security. Having everything inside one box is even more conducive to good security, which is why I've gone the route I have - I'm a working political activist boondocking and traveling in urban areas so security is a concern.

Ummm...as to security. You should have a gun, and an entry alarm (or small yapperdoggie, same thing really). Odds are you won't need either, same as the combination smoke/carbon monoxide alarms (garage and living area, one each or combos) and fire extinguishers (again, garage and near driver's seat). You hope you won't need any of these...but you'd be a fool not to have 'em. In the case of the gun, with at least basic safety training - EMail me off-list if you'd like a pointer in that direction, use the EMail addy I'm switching to, march.jim@gmail.com
Jimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:40 AM   #25

Hi Jimm

i remember your rig when it was originally posted (I think ebay) for sale. Looks like you have pretty good idea on how to change it. Please post pics after your done.

These combinations you are decribing with bedroom over part of garage are actually getting more common. I have seen some used ones and right now Becks Marine has 2 new ones for sale.

http://www.becksmarine.com/Motorhome...thGarIndex.htm

They also have lots of pics that gives you good idea on how high the bedroom over the garage still is.

These conversions have straight roof, Wildside LLC has pretty much all theirs with the raised roof in the rear, thats whay asked about them in my thread. (Not to hijack yours, prof)

And now guys, forgive me for a totally crazy idea. Last year in AZ, near Quarzsite, I have seen a class 8 conversion, that did not have the bunk over the cab. Instead he had a rack with 2 ATV over the cab. Cab length about 10ft, ATV about 7 to 8 ft. He had a david to lift the ATV on top of his cab, sort of like may people have for their sea-doos over their boat. Pretty cool idea, cause the cabover bunk is hardly usable anyway.
Now, we also know that car haulers usually have one car sitting right over their cab, very often also extending to the front beyond the hood.
What if there was a way to lift (a very small) car on top of your cab and transport it up there?
I know, I know, ...front axle weight, how to lift it up there as I cant drive it over the box from behind, aerodynamics, safety.. and so on.

Well, Randy Buttler, got any ideas on this one?

Walter
WalliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:12 PM   #26

Looking at the two Becks units, the 12ft garage model is OK for motorcycles/ATVs/golf carts, maybe a few cars...Honda CRX maybe. Or the Mini Cooper.

The 14ft garage is more usable but you're still talking about a pretty small car and not that particular Saturn mentioned.

Note that these are BIG units, 43ft and 44ft. A 35ft overall with no garage will have at least as much interior living area and probably more; if you then tow an enclosed car hauler you'll have more camping locations that can take your size range. (If you're only dealing with high-end "destination" campgrounds OR free boondocking, it won't be an issue - it's the lower-priced campgrounds and national parks that are going to be problematic with lengths past 35ft to 36ft.)

I suspect you'd be happier and get off cheaper with the shorter rig/cartrailer plan, and be able to keep your current car if you want.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:30 PM   #27

You folks are such a wealth of useful information for the old Professor.

Here's today's questions class.

1. Looking at interiors last week at an RV show and on the links you have sent., It looks to me like a very light maple cabinets and paneling would make the rig look and feel bigger than the darker woods or Oak. What is the consensus on paneling?
2. Re Tote homes and trailers: We witnessed some flipped trailers while on Vacation a couple of years ago and my bride feels that they are less safe than a garage unit. What is the thinking on towing with a car or pickup?
3. Also Hurricanes, tornadoes and red neck divorces all result in the loss of a trailer. It just seems that if caught in a bad weather spell the motor home would offer superior security. What are your thoughts?
4. How does one maintain both TV and Internet connection in a Truck/Motor home?
5. I notice that there are lots of Mercedes Benz powered rigs advertised. How do they fair as to reliability, ease to work on, fuel economy serviceability from dealers and all the other considerations VS Cummins, Detroit Diesel or CAT?
6. Re Car Length. I looked at a Mini and a Sion B (Box). 12 and 13 feet or so. These are not 4 WD. In the event of snow or other friction busting conditions 4WD or AWD seems better. I Love my Subaru Legacy but it is 16Ft. Any other suggestions on Cars?
7. I looked at both Honda and Vespa Scooters as an auxiliary ride. Any Pros/Cons on these?
8. If you run into High water like the Big Easy did, Is there a way to make the "Basement storage" waterproof?
9. I Notice all garages have an escape hatch. What are we escaping from ??
10. Is sleeping in those low ceiling cab over beds comfortable? The look like they would be short on air circulation.
11. Is it possible to have a built in Gasoline tank to refuel the car or scooter?
12. How are these rigs taxed? I have been told interest is deductible but are there property tax or high license fees?

Thanks so much guys for all the input
The old "Enlightenment Coordinator"
Old 09-30-2005, 08:41 PM   #28

I have a wide degree of separation from Arnold. His attacks on Teachers, firefighters cops and other first responders has not endeared him to we who serve.

I'll need another source
Michael
Old 09-30-2005, 09:34 PM   #29

......1.0 yes- lite wood looks larger and brighter 2.0 I tow with a Volvo 610 tractor-my 37' trailer is a carhauler and sits low to the ground 3.0 In bad weather I stop at a truck stop or a rest area-forget the anexiety of driving in crap 4.0 I know nothing about 'puters in trailers so ask Jim Gehlen he sells that kinda stuff-I don't watch TV when I'm out-I read. 5.0 Ihave both a Cummins and a Caterpillar....I'm sure I can get them fixed at any truck shop 6.0 I have a VW TDi Golf and it fits right in the back of the carhauler trailer- it is front wheel drive- I have chains and ice tires on it if need be. 7.0 I can never ride a bike-cycle-scooter again because of my present body condition 8.0 I don't have basement storage so not a problem and the bottom of the trailer is sealed with silicone caulk 9.0 I don't have an escape hatch I use the side door or back loading ramp which I can open even if it is locked on the outside 10.0 not enough room for good sex >16" high-made me not choose a Showhauler bunk 11.0 I wouldn't-I'd use a 5 gallon GI cans or cans in a steel cabinet 12.0 Mine is a second home and I do get a write off-federal- also a deduction on the tractor-check with your tax man to figure out how to do it....plates are $160 and $50 for the whole rig here in Ohio Insurance is $150+$360 for both a year....I have liability and comp only....geofkaye
Old 09-30-2005, 09:59 PM   #30

5. "Freightliner LLC, a DaimlerChrysler company, is the largest heavy-duty truck manufacturer in North America and a leading producer of medium-duty trucks and specialized commercial vehicles. " There you go, standard in many Freightliner is the MB4000 engine, in the smaller ones the MB900/926. Of course you can get all the other ones as well, but naturaley DC - Mercedes is pushing their own engines, which btw in USA are sold and serviced by Detroid Diesel.. you guessed it, another DC company. From what I hear the MB engines are smoother and better on fuel than Cummins or CAT.

7. Good idea unless its raining or you want to go shopping more than just one bag full of stuff.

9. I thought it was legally required.

11. Many toyhauler have up to 100 gallons with pump for .. well, your toys, so im sure thats easy doable.

Walter
Old 09-30-2005, 11:07 PM   #31

I don't think you're going to find something 4WD/AWD that fits inside of 14ft.

On the other hand, I think you'll find that a Mini-Cooper with ABS and (when necessary chains) will be able to cope with most things. And it's quite safe despite it's size - it's really made by BMW. As a small station wagon, it's got more cargo room than most small cars.

IF you're going to go with an internal garage, and there are definately advantages, this would be my top choice.

If you want something that costs less, get an old Honda CRX and have it overhauled professionally. You'll still be into it for less than $6k - $8k total. Won't be as safe as the Mini-Cooper though.

On edit: I checked the Mini-Cooper site (http://www.miniusa.com) - you can get "dynamic stability control" (mainly a traction control system) and a limited slip differencial. Together and in a car that size, they'd be a decent compromise instead of AWD.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:00 AM   #32

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/?id=166

Maybe not avalible on your side of the pond, but sure would suit your needs perfectly!

Don't have any real figures but i reckon it can't be much bigger than 10-11ft and is a great little car off road, actually due to its size and weight it can put more 'serious' off roaders to shame!!
Old 10-01-2005, 12:33 PM   #33

Actually it has the specs on the site you refer to.

DIMENSIONS
Length: 3,538mm (11' 8")
Width (body only): 1,589mm (5' 2.6")
Height: 1,540mm (5' 1")
Luggage capacity (rear seats up): 206 litres.
Luggage capacity 5-dr (2-seat mode up to roof): 775 litres.
Kerb weight (1.1 Active): 840kg (1.3 Multijet): 935kg (4x4): 980kg
Braked towing weights (4x4) 800kg

So its a little bit bigger than you thought, but still pretty small and very light. 1,900 lbs..

I still like the way The British call it PETROL and KERB weight...

Walter
Old 10-01-2005, 08:46 PM   #34

Guess I missed that

Anyway, still shorter than a new mini (by 3") and has AWD (a very clever mechanical solution if your into that kind of thing)!

Petrol is just like gas, only difference is it costs 3x as much and sidewalk weight just sounds silly.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:08 PM   #35

Very interesting Specs but probably never will be a North American version. I think Fiat withdrew from the North America in the late 70's. But the specs look real useable.

Thanks

Michael
Old 10-02-2005, 12:14 PM   #36

Quote:
sidewalk weight just sounds silly.
Which is why we ALSO use "curb" weight; we just spell it differently......
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 09:53 PM   #37

.....snort!....cough!....choke!.....gasp for air!.....damnit Gary!....geofkaye
Old 10-03-2005, 06:43 PM   #38

Gary/Goef; you guys are killing me

stop picking on the new guys; you will scare them away
-in the shop: Pete "38
spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:56 PM   #39

Me? Picking on anybody? C'monnnnn!
I was just making a little, how you say, linguistic commentary.....
Yeah, that's the ticket!
(Some one send the paramedix to the Kaye residence; he's having breathing difficulties again.....)
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:53 PM   #40

.....too late!...I need an new monitor[milk and strawberry syrup]....geofkaye