Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
gil

Default resale value

hi guys -

i dont know if i can get this question answered or not.

i am looking at a 2006 haulmark motorhome with 27,000 miles - i think i can buy it for about $115,000.

my wife is not sure that we will use it enough, and/or like the rv'ing lifestyle - i told her that once the units get to be 5 yrs or so old that they do not depreciate and actually may hold their value fairly well.

is that wishful thinking? any ideas?

tks,

gil

gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #2

I've never owned one, but I've been shopping for almost a year. Recommend you look at everything that comes and goes in racingjunk.com. Create a spreadsheet, track what they are, size, amenities, hp, miles age, and asking price. I think you'll find out that the prices can be much softer than you are thinking.

I'll be interested to hear what the rest of the guys say.

Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #3

I have been struggling with the idea to sell my RumRunner, I may start Rumrunner II or I might go fifth wheel and buy a new 1 ton pickup.

I have nearly 90K in the RumRunner, she is a GMC 6500 with a 3126 CAT that is designed to fit into a 9' garage door so she's long and low. Very sleek, very stable out on the open road and loves to roll 70-75mph. behave at 65-70 and get 11 mpg

Since it is a C and S conversion, the shell was professionally built and inspected, every thing is very solid and residential, unlike most factory rigs which are mostly cheapo RV products.

My problem is pricing, even though we have 90 grand in it, what would I price it at? 79? 80? the truck is a 2001 with only 125K on it, the Conversion is registered as a 2009 even though its maiden trip was 2010. its always stored in 50 degree comfort and has never been winterized. we have really only used it 16 nights, and when you open the door it smells like a brand new RV, every one that we show it mentions it too!

So my question is the reverse of yours. sorry I have no answers for you.
-blizz
Old 02-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #4

Blizz, you sound like my neighbor. He builds a hot rod, sells it, and starts another one
Old 02-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #5

WE like to drive...we've got a 100+ lb OES (old english sheep dog) and 2 kids in college...who knows where the 3rd kid might end up...but ALL 3 are outta the house.

Ive already got an F350 Crewcab, long bed, 4wd...Ive installed a 50gal aux tank in it AND a gearvendors dbl overdrive...i can get 21-24 on the interstate at 75-85 mph...2100 mile range...GREAT set up, but it sucks having to stop when were tired - unpack the load into a hotel room and then repack it in the morning.

we LOVE our coach...weve been known to take it on SHORT trips (200 mile) outlet shopping excursions and close camping (30 miles)...weve also run it back and forth to destin (brother in law) and virginia (parents)...theres NOTHING like going to see friends and then REST in our own "quarters" on their street or in their driveway !

screw the money ! these things are NO investments (ok, MAYBE youll get 50% of your money back if you sell it EARLY)...theres NO justifying the expense...you can FLY and stay cheaper...at the same time the ADVENTURE and FAMILY time is P-R-I-C-E-L-E-S-S !
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #6

I agree with Don.

A good friend of mine was into Prevost motorhomes converted by Liberty Coach. I was fortunate enough to go on a number of racing trips to Indianapolis, Michigan, and Daytona with him alone sometimes, members of his family sometimes, and once or twice with a bunch of guys. He and I also went on a number racing trips in the car and stayed at the hotels. The motorhome trips were always the funest.

Traveling with my late friend Charlie opened up the motorhome lifestyle to me. Drive until you want to stop, don't worry about the hotel and whats available or what it might cost, get up when you're ready to go, no hauling the stuff in and out of the hotel, make stuff to eat while you're rolling, no stopping to eat, etc.

Do it right, its just more fun.
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #7

you can take a lot of flights, buy a lot of hotel rooms & rent plenty of cars w/ 100k (or more)...and thats saying NOTHING about the fuel !

some of my BEST nights rest have been in the Coach...in a rest area ! Hell more than once weve driven til we were tired (midnight +), pulled into a rest area, and SLEPT for a SOLID 8 hours !

I have an ANNUAL guy excursion that for YEARS ive drive (alone)...leave @ 3am, arrive by 3pm (when the track opens)...this year, in the coach...we left at 7pm (much earlier than we had to)....drove past new orleans and north into mississippi (or plan was only to get past where any potential traffic would be)...we SLEPT an EXTREMELY restful 7 hours...made some coffee, grabbed a shower and continued on our way - sneaking in the gate before NOON

even if i slept 6 hours in my f350 back seat i was NEVER as comfortable as well rested !

theres something weird (AND cool) about showering in a PARKING lot
Old 02-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil View Post
hi guys -

i dont know if i can get this question answered or not.

i am looking at a 2006 haulmark motorhome with 27,000 miles - i think i can buy it for about $115,000.

my wife is not sure that we will use it enough, and/or like the rv'ing lifestyle - i told her that once the units get to be 5 yrs or so old that they do not depreciate and actually may hold their value fairly well.

is that wishful thinking? any ideas?

tks,

gil
28' motorhome conversion on freightliner For Sale

Did you see this one on racingjunk.com ? Posted today.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #9

My wife and I started with a $20k used Allegro class A. We wanted to try rv'ing and figured that would be a good way. Well, we decided that's the lifestyle for us. After 5 years with that one the economy tanked and I stole the t/c from a hungry dealer.

You'll hear from lots of people that love the rv lifestyle. Rarely do you hear from somebody that had an rv and didn't like it and sold it so they could fly and hotel it. Does that mean nobody does that? Or do those people start hanging around on hotel and airplane forums? Ponder that.

I would offer a bit of a twist to the cost issue. If you forget about the purchase price of the rig there is a good way to think about this. Last May we took a 3 week trip. Fuel cost us $2100. We covered 4800 miles. We went where we wanted to go, when we wanted to. We visited lots of friends and relatives along the way and didn't dirty their sheets, use their hot water, or impose in any way. We rarely ate in restaurants so our food costs were about the same as if we were at home. We didn't have to rent a car. No way could you take a trip like that and fly everywhere and rent cars and get hotel room and eat for $2100. So, the way I see it it's cheaper to rv. Purely on $'s. Add in that it's such a great way to travel and you're way ahead.

I do agree that you're not likely to ever sell it for anywhere near what you paid for it. My Allegro I sold for $10k. I figure I put about $5k into it in repairs during the 5 years I owned it. So, a $15k use fee for 5 years isn't too bad. I'm guessing my present rig will cost me more in the end. But remember I don't think much about that.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #10

one other spin....

We've got multiple friends w/ Vacation homes...in hawaii, texas, colorado....beach houses, lake houses, ski houses/condos...they get 1 maybe 2 weeks a year in those places...3 if theyre lucky.

Ive got another friend w/ a lake house about 1.5 hours from his primary residence....they go to that lake house almost EVERY weekend...(when theres water in the lake)....and hes a damn SLAVE to the place, always fixing something, mowing the lawn, painting, repairing jet ski's or the boat.

My wife and i saw we bought a LAKE-SKI-MOUNTAIN-BEACH-State-National-Park home....all in ONE...and ours is on wheels...and so far the upkeep is pretty low...wash it <if we want> run the vacuum and put fuel in it thats IT !
Old 02-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #11

One of our early road trips in our first rv we were sitting around the campfire visiting with some full timers. One of the guys said the thing he likes about living in his rv is he can change the view out his windows anytime he wants. He also said if he doesn't like his neighbors he turns the key and leaves. Can't do that with a lake place. He has a pretty good point here.

Some family members of mine have lake places. Want to go to the lake this weekend? Sure, you can help put the dock in, take it out, mow the lawn, rake the leaves, paint the garage, fix the gutters, cut down the dead tree (this is about the only thing I enjoy doing so maybe I shouldn't have put this one in), etc....
Old 02-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Weaver View Post
Blizz, you sound like my neighbor. He builds a hot rod, sells it, and starts another one
I have passed on so many dirt cheap hot rod projects the last 2 years...

I love my RumRunner, but... Winters are too long to wait for RV season..

And I have lots of tools just waiting...

Am I answering my own question as to ... is it time?

hmmm..
Old 02-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #13

Default Resale

Gil, to answer your question on resale value-

These units have the best resale value out there. You are correct, after a few years of small depreciation- they maintain value. I have seen 2001-2003 Renegades increase in value.

I use my 2006 Chevy Dually as an example, and they have very good resale value. I have seen 2006 Renegade or Showhauler motorhomes lose less in dollars (not percentage) than my dually after 5 years.

Bob

rjdhomes is offline   Reply With Quote