Thread: resale value
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
Bob86ZZ4

My wife and I started with a $20k used Allegro class A. We wanted to try rv'ing and figured that would be a good way. Well, we decided that's the lifestyle for us. After 5 years with that one the economy tanked and I stole the t/c from a hungry dealer.

You'll hear from lots of people that love the rv lifestyle. Rarely do you hear from somebody that had an rv and didn't like it and sold it so they could fly and hotel it. Does that mean nobody does that? Or do those people start hanging around on hotel and airplane forums? Ponder that.

I would offer a bit of a twist to the cost issue. If you forget about the purchase price of the rig there is a good way to think about this. Last May we took a 3 week trip. Fuel cost us $2100. We covered 4800 miles. We went where we wanted to go, when we wanted to. We visited lots of friends and relatives along the way and didn't dirty their sheets, use their hot water, or impose in any way. We rarely ate in restaurants so our food costs were about the same as if we were at home. We didn't have to rent a car. No way could you take a trip like that and fly everywhere and rent cars and get hotel room and eat for $2100. So, the way I see it it's cheaper to rv. Purely on $'s. Add in that it's such a great way to travel and you're way ahead.

I do agree that you're not likely to ever sell it for anywhere near what you paid for it. My Allegro I sold for $10k. I figure I put about $5k into it in repairs during the 5 years I owned it. So, a $15k use fee for 5 years isn't too bad. I'm guessing my present rig will cost me more in the end. But remember I don't think much about that.