Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-28-2006, 08:02 PM   #1

Located in Illinois.

Looks like a nice layout for a short truck.

The tail end could be partially enclosed with a telescopic or collaspible pole frame and fabric during nice weather for an outdoor patio.

Are the low back diner seats comfortable? Or is a higher backed seat diner more comfortable?

I think the slide out windows should be bigger and sliders. What do you think?

How long or how much trailer weight can this machine pull? Does the 300hp cat have sufficient power to pull any trailer or would more power be better?

Is a 6 speed automatic a good choice or would a different transmission be better?

Comments?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Renegade-Custom-Coa...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:38 PM   #2

.....I wouldn't be happy with just 300hp and an auto....but that is just me.....I have one in my wrecker and it is Ok for city towing[15,000#+16,000# for the wrecker] but out on the X-way is just ain't got it for running with the rest of the big boys...and the cost is going to be really high for what you want to get/use it for......IMO get at least 450-500 hp if you want to pull anything heavier that 10,000#.....IMO geofkaye

Old 03-29-2006, 06:07 AM   #3

If your looking to pull a stacker, than as geof said your not going to be happy anywhere but on the flats.

But if your looking to pull a smaller 5th wheel or bumper pulled trailer it will work very well. The only place the big dogs are going to drop you are in the big hills or if you get stuffed on a small hill. The 6 speed Allison is as smooth as silk.

You are limited on that truck to that 300 hp, you cannot turn up the power due to the smaller radiator. After January 05 FL started to produce two versions of the M2-116, one for up to 300 hp and one for hp up to 350 hp. The big difference is the larger hood to accommodate the larger radiator. Not sure what else.

I will post a new note on this in a week or so, but I am having my Mercedes motor turned up next week. I have the larger radiator, so I can wick up the motor. While I was climbing all over the motor to get all of the necessary numbers for the service center I notice that all of the stickers from Mercedes state that it is the 330 hp version. But someone put cheesy stickers showing they derated it to 300 hp. Since my truck was one of the first to come out of the factory with the new larger radiator, no one new we could run the bigger hp/tq. The big thing with the Mercedes motor is that when you bring it up to the 330 hp you also raise the torque from 860 to 1,000. On the Cat motor you are stuck with 860 torque even when up rated.

I will post costs and thoughts on how the M2 does with more ponies in a week or so.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:27 PM   #4

BravestDog-
What kind of rig are you looking for- or are you actually in the market? The reason I ask is that you post ads for everything possible, then ask our opinions on them. Do you have something in mind, or are you just gathering info on everything that hits the used market? Just curious.....
Gary
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Atsma:
BravestDog-
What kind of rig are you looking for- or are you actually in the market? The reason I ask is that you post ads for everything possible, then ask our opinions on them. Do you have something in mind, or are you just gathering info on everything that hits the used market? Just curious.....
Gary
Gary,

I spend hours looking for used conversions online, occasionally find one or something unusual, then post it here, and ask others for their opinions hoping it will help educate myself or others on what to look for and or avoid...

I'm still looking for a conversion.

Here is the text from my ad in the "Wanted" section:

I'm searching for a truck conversion with some, many or all of the following specs. These are rough specs and I am somewhat flexible.

1. Very good mechanical condition, exterior paint not necessary. Interior does not have to be complete, perfect or high end leather. Plywood walls, linoleum floors are fine. Canvas type seat covers would work well. It has to be user friendly and efficient use of space.

I like the idea of everything converting to a potential sleeper, ie diner, couch, cabover, so when I have guests, they have a place to sleep, like large windows, skylights that open for natural ventilation.

Also like the idea of house batteries charged by either the truck motor or generator so I don't have to run the generator if I'm only using small amounts of power.

2. Front 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1/1 or so living/office space and rear 1/4, 1/2. 3/4 garage/shop space. It would be nice, but not required, if the garage area had some shop type cabinets, work top benches and tools included, ie welders, and shop tools, metal/wood so I could build stuff in the garage area. Big windows and natural light, e-track or slat tie downs would be a nice addition in the shop area.

3. Prefer a level type rear ramp that raises and lowers so it could be used as an outdoor work or pleasure platform...

4. I don't need all kinds of high tech gizmos and gadgets like a washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, in motion satellite reciever. Prefer a simple, bullet proof, industrial strength type machine. Something that is low maintenance and multi purpose.

5. Reasonably priced.

The above are preferences, not requirements.

Can't think of anything more at this moment, but when I do, I'll edit the ad.

My location is the San Francisco area.

You can email me at

SkyvanDelta@yahoo.com
or call
510 523.5031
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:10 PM   #6

...nothing wrong with this.....Bravest you think like I do...."form follows function" as it has been said.....be prepaired to spend 50K for what you want and have some left over for goodies....geofkaye
Old 03-31-2006, 04:33 PM   #7

Hey 'Dog-
I'm glad I asked- As Geof says(sorta) above, "Great minds DO think alike!"
I wasn't trying to be a smartass (on re-reading, it might come off that way!), I just wanted to see what your reasoning was to post all those RV ads. I'm actually glad you do it, as it shows that there's really not much new under "El Sol". Keep up the posts! They are appreciated!
Gary
PS Dang, Geof, that 50G number is right at what I figured on spending on my rig... when it happens.....
Old 03-31-2006, 10:25 PM   #8

......Gary: that is cost of materials and labor with me doing the supervision.....I got it down to a science using ready available materials and adapting home or commercial appliances to the unite....this is the basic rig without any of the glitz items like flat panel or sat tracking or even stero radio....at the truck show they were giving away sirius and that other one so you'd have to sign up for the service.....There is always the issue of the truck but using the wholesale price or "trade terms" with a company you can trust about 30k will get you the tractor part and another 20 for the box or trailer....the rest is fluff and is strickly profit centered items....I could shave it closer by using black water tanks and stuff like that but when it comes to poop -I go first class because of the health issues[electric Incinolet].....the water system is over rated in most commercial unites[no reason for propane]....they want to make it like home on wheels-which it is not- but they don't put any money into the bath tub or shower with the toilet in the center of the shower...in "loo" of hot and cold water....with fancy knobs and a glass shower door.....LED lites will tripple the battery capacity.... useing NON-Lead/acid batteries-cost about 1/3 more but last for 5 years in MH use....and you can pull them out and use them in the boat or even the truck....I spent more on a generator as I use if for other things but one could get away with a 6000 watt unite to run the A/C unite with good insulation and an electric fan to move th air around......geofkaye
Old 04-01-2006, 03:36 PM   #9

Thanks Geof!
Sounds like you do a good solid common-sense conversion! Too bad yer waaaaay over in Cincy, O-how. Oh well, it'll get done by someone somewhat reputable, someday! Thanks again!
Gary