Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community > Truck Conversion Talk > Coach In The Making
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #21

I counter to Don about the oven. My previous Allegro class A had an oven. My wife makes cookies a lot. My present t/c didn't have an oven. She tried to use the convection microwave to make cookies and never liked it one bit. So I had to do some major counter/cabinet re-working to get an oven installed. She's sooo much happier. And the guys at the race track are much happier too.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #22

and i concede to Bob....he might be right about the oven....but I'm still not baking cookies at the track.

i think for extended travelers / full time folks an oven would be a nice item to have.

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #23

My wife has used the oven in our fiver a few times, but we found out that with the pilot lit it stays warm enough to season a cast iron skillet real nicely!
Old 12-28-2014, 07:07 AM   #24

Hi Steve,

I have searched the Internet over for months and haven't found someone doing this except you! We are wanting to stretch a tractor and mount a 36' reefer trailer onto a day cab frame. Watching your progress is helping me to envision this finally! Thank you for posting! Please keep the profess documented and posted here. And can you detail how you mounted the box to the frame and what your accordion seal looks like and who you bought it from? Thank you so much!

Scott and Heather
freshdaymusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:51 AM   #25

Hey guys, thanks for the post. The box/van body I bought was made to mount to a truck frame already so I was able to mount the box the same way they mount them on medium duty trucks with u-bolts. I put down 3/4" thick oak between the frame of the truck and the frame of the box and then u-bolted them together every 4 feet. The boxes or van bodies usually have "I" or "C" frame rails that run front to back under them. Depending on if your reefer unit has those you would probably want to add them. I think most trailers only have left/right I beams every 12 inches or so? If the rails weren't going to line up on my box/van body I was going to add my own "I" or "C" beams to the box/van body where they needed to be. They are just welded to the left/right beams. Wouldn't of been that difficult.

As far as the boot that goes between the box and the truck cab I haven't bought that yet but have sourced it from: http://www.accordionboot.com/
We put one of these on my father in laws toter and the only advice that we learned is buy the extra wide one. It is more money but we bought the regular one and couldn't get the boot on the right way because it wasn't wide enough. Really need the box to be about an 1" no more than 2" away from the cab to make work.

Take care,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
20140422_100122.jpg   20140422_100118.jpg  
superbird03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:08 PM   #26

Completed the frame work for the bathroom vanity and stained it along with the kitchen cabinets. Had some trouble with staining the kitchen cabinets. I usually work with Oak but wanted to use a different material for this project for cost and looks. I went with Poplar 1x material and birch for the paneling. That was the closest match to the Poplar. Normal process is to sponge sand with 220 grit and then stain and clear coat. It would appear the grain is much tighter on the Poplar as I could not get the stain to soak into the wood. After a couple coats and the color turning orange I decided to sand everything off I just did. I then used wood conditioner and then stain and it came out much better. The bathroom vanity I palm sanded starting with 120 ending with 220 and then used wood conditioner and then stain and really turned out great. When I make the doors and drawers I will be sure to follow the more aggressive sanding process as that seems to be the key.

I am looking for suggestions on ground clearance. I picked up a really nice set of power stairs that were more intended for a bus where the entry door is in front of the steer tire and would have a "kneel" mode. I say that because if I mount these stairs so the first step is a reasonable distance off the ground, 10 to 12 inches (no air in the suspension), the frame work of the stairs will be an inch lower than that. This means if I have the stairs so the first step is 10 inches my ground clearance is only 9 inches. I gain about 2 inches when there is air in the suspension, that puts me at 11 inches of ground clearance. The RV"s I have measured are usually around 14 inches or more. My door is right between the steer and front drive axle so the stairs are obviously there. This would make this area very susceptible to bottoming out on stuff My fuel tanks on the truck are about 10 inches when aired up going down the road but they are right behind the steer tires making it more difficult for those to drag. If I go to the more traditional KWIKEE style stairs I would eliminate this concern as they fold up rather than slide out on an angle. I really like this bus style set I have however because they are way sturdier and 30 inches wide rather than KWIKEE's 24 inches. Any thoughts from you guys? We end up in the grass at the race tracks we go to more times than not and I am concerned about bottoming this out. Am I over worrying!?
Attached Thumbnails
20150118_131814_resized.jpg   20150118_212757_resized.jpg   20141219_205911_resized.jpg   20141219_210136_resized.jpg  
Old 01-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #27

Regarding the open space under your step/treads - you gonna keep it open ?? I would !
If you don't keep it open i would encourage you to put a door or drawer under each step....anything that would allow someone to put there shoes UNDER the step (or maybe even some frequent items, used during set up etc).

we TRY not to wear our shoes in the coach (still happens) but when we kick them off we don't really have a place to hide them (they get left on the steps to be tripped over or just generally be in the way).

Regarding the steps HEIGHT -

I've never measured mine but I've never had an issue (except on my mother in laws curb)....i just know to stay a few inches away when parking there (to keep the coach tires out of the curb and more "on the street")...and then its only an issue when i let the coach down off the jacks (after I've deflated the bags).

If its too big a step from the ground to the 1st step you can always use a portable/height adjustable step - we have one (and only had to use it once or twice) - CAMCO 43676 Step

assuming you'll have levelers and won't always have the luxury of parking on level ground...the height to the bottom step wont always be the same anyway.

I've got a jeep wrangler that doesnt have 11 inches of ground clearance and other than some off road trails I've never even come close to contacting any thing under the jeep.....same with my wife's tiny miata.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:07 PM   #28

Thanks for the reply, and link to the step. I am not sure if I will have levelers. I would sure like to but not in the budget right now. I am allocating a spot for them but not going to be in there right now. My father in-law uses a set of boards that he drives the front wheels up onto depending on the terrain. I was thinking about putting a manual set I could crank up in the rear. Much like trailer legs. Probably wouldn't work on the front.

The stairs I have in there are temporary and for testing purposes only. I have been playing around with tread height and if I should go with 2 steps inside or 3. I have started seeing more RV's with the open treads. I like that idea as well, although I do like the idea of being able to put 2 batteries in there as well. That seems to be a common spot for them. Depending on my power steps I use will determine this.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #29

My steps are open and I have all kinds of junk shoved under them. Handy. I have a great way to handle those shoes, Don. I've got to get a picture of what I do next time I'm at my rig. Maybe the next week or so. We never wear shoes inside either.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:32 PM   #30

if nothing else levelers will help stabilize the coach & prevent "sea legs".

I'd recommend that the levelers be on the FRONT (since there are no "parking" brakes on the front, only the rear)....you wouldnt want to raise the rear (w/out raising the front) for fear it could ROLL & bend or bust the levelers.

of course you could CHOCK the front wheels but thats a bit of a PIA.

I keep some 15x15 squares of 3/4 pressure treated plywood....ive screwed 3 sheets together....i use them to put under the hydraulic levelers so the ram's don't have to deploy as far every time (makes it a little quicker to deploy/level & retract).

the plywood also is helpful in extreme situations where i cant deploy the levelers far enough to level the coach (the boards give me extra inches of reach) - more than once I've had to stack multiple squares on top of each other (my mother in laws street has a huge crown) i end up w/ the passenger/curb side needing an extreme level compared to the drivers/road side.

the boards also help when we're forced to level on soft ground (dirt/grass) or warm asphalt, ill put the boards down to avoid punching holes thru the surface...or to try to prevent cracking concrete.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
My steps are open and I have all kinds of junk shoved under them. Handy. I have a great way to handle those shoes, Don. I've got to get a picture of what I do next time I'm at my rig. Maybe the next week or so. We never wear shoes inside either.
our steps are closed....so we cant even kick the shoes under a tread...they lay in the way on each step.

because we almost always have the dog w/ us, we keep the cover over the steps, so its not much of a problem.

FWIW we've found that putting the cover on the steps at night helps keep the cold out too.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:37 PM   #32

In regards to Don's post about using plywood under the leveling jacks. I've had much better luck using cut off pieces of micro-lam. Micro-lam looks kind of like plywood but it's much thicker. They use it as beam to support spans when framing stuff. Often used to support the load above a garage door opening. When I see a framing job going on I stop and visit and ask if they are going to use any micro-lams. If so could I have any scraps they cut off. They are tougher than plywood. And since they're thicker I don't have to screw them together. I keep a bunch in a storage bin. I use them the same way Don does. Here's something about them: Weyerhaeuser :: Microllam LVL Beams
Old 01-21-2015, 10:51 PM   #33

FWIW i alternate the grain of the wood (and suggest others do this too, regardless of what they use)....it provides additional strength & prevents cracking/splitting & warping (especially if you use 2x material.

I like the idea of the microllam (1st I've even hear it called that)....ill be cruising construction sites now

Hows that stuff hold up in the wet ?
Old 01-23-2015, 05:54 PM   #34

I think it holds up as well as, if not better than, regular plywood. I don't think I've thrown any away yet due to delamination/rotting.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #35

Thanks for the pictures and measurements! I am going to shoot for a ride height around 12 inches. I have heard you can install a button to adjust your ride height up. I have a dump valve already but am going to investigate more on hitting a switch to add air to the suspension to raise it up. This would give me the luxury of adding an inch or two of ride height when parking (if needed).

I was planning on having the rear slide in mine to slide the bed out further to give me a walk way to the front. I will have to look at putting the bed in sideways like yours.

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 01-26-2015, 10:53 AM   #36

we have the dump valve also but have found it to be unnecessary (since we use the levelers & only have bags on the rear).

ours has a mechanical linkage (rod) tied from the pumpkin to a frame mounted dump valve....when i deploy the levelers the linkage activates the dump valve. I haven't looked at it but i suspect i could reset the height of the mechanical link/rod to gain some added height....but the rods job is there to "set the height" of the coach/box.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:14 AM   #37

Default Granite work

Started working on the granite counters over the weekend. I was able to acquire some used granite from my neighbor that he pulled out of a job. I purchased a 7" diamond blade to put in my circular saw, a 4" one for my angle grinder, a set of polishing pads, (8 different grits) and a core bit for drilling holes and I have granite counters in my camper now! Very messy and time consuming but it came out fantastic. I still have to do the backsplashes but my father in law and I were able to have the bathroom top and kitchen top cut and polished in a day. Would have been much better to do this outside as it made such a mess of my shop.
Attached Thumbnails
20150206_095238.jpg   20150206_101602.jpg   20150206_102002.jpg   20150206_140733.jpg  
Old 02-08-2015, 08:22 AM   #38

Default Kitchen granite

I am not sure what to do with the backsplash yet. I plan to put the matching granite one in along the back of the kitchen counter, however I want to put something up the wall behind the stove at a minimum as I have to cover up a mistake made earlier that caused me to piece in a portion of the paneling. I don't have enough of the mosaic tile back that is shown in the picture, I may try to make my own. I see they have stick on mosaics and stainless looking shapes at Menards/HD, however I am not confident they will stand up well to the temperature changes as I will not have the luxury of keeping this unit in a climate controlled building at all times. I am thinking of screwing a piece of 1/4" or 1/8" plywood to my paneling and then liquid nailing mosaic glass tiles to it. That way if I have problems with the tiles I can just remove the hole board and try something else. I haven't figured that out yet.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
20150206_140751.jpg   20150206_173919.jpg   20150206_201846.jpg  
Old 02-08-2015, 09:55 AM   #39

Awesome Job! Looks Killer!
Old 02-08-2015, 10:54 AM   #40

Dang, man!! That looks great!