View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 12:08 PM   #26
superbird03

Completed the frame work for the bathroom vanity and stained it along with the kitchen cabinets. Had some trouble with staining the kitchen cabinets. I usually work with Oak but wanted to use a different material for this project for cost and looks. I went with Poplar 1x material and birch for the paneling. That was the closest match to the Poplar. Normal process is to sponge sand with 220 grit and then stain and clear coat. It would appear the grain is much tighter on the Poplar as I could not get the stain to soak into the wood. After a couple coats and the color turning orange I decided to sand everything off I just did. I then used wood conditioner and then stain and it came out much better. The bathroom vanity I palm sanded starting with 120 ending with 220 and then used wood conditioner and then stain and really turned out great. When I make the doors and drawers I will be sure to follow the more aggressive sanding process as that seems to be the key.

I am looking for suggestions on ground clearance. I picked up a really nice set of power stairs that were more intended for a bus where the entry door is in front of the steer tire and would have a "kneel" mode. I say that because if I mount these stairs so the first step is a reasonable distance off the ground, 10 to 12 inches (no air in the suspension), the frame work of the stairs will be an inch lower than that. This means if I have the stairs so the first step is 10 inches my ground clearance is only 9 inches. I gain about 2 inches when there is air in the suspension, that puts me at 11 inches of ground clearance. The RV"s I have measured are usually around 14 inches or more. My door is right between the steer and front drive axle so the stairs are obviously there. This would make this area very susceptible to bottoming out on stuff My fuel tanks on the truck are about 10 inches when aired up going down the road but they are right behind the steer tires making it more difficult for those to drag. If I go to the more traditional KWIKEE style stairs I would eliminate this concern as they fold up rather than slide out on an angle. I really like this bus style set I have however because they are way sturdier and 30 inches wide rather than KWIKEE's 24 inches. Any thoughts from you guys? We end up in the grass at the race tracks we go to more times than not and I am concerned about bottoming this out. Am I over worrying!?
Attached Thumbnails
20150118_131814_resized.jpg   20150118_212757_resized.jpg   20141219_205911_resized.jpg   20141219_210136_resized.jpg  
superbird03 is offline   Reply With Quote