Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #1

Default A newbie getting bit by the dog

Well, it has been a dream for 20+ years and I am perhaps (foolishly?) about to make the plunge. Old Mack RS700. Pure mad dog. While the thing will be part RV, the remainder will be used as a combo school/shop going to disaster sites teaching/performing engine and heavy electrical repair for red cross, samaritans purse, etc.

This truck has very heavy specs 14K ft/44K rears camelback suspension. A typical RV or van box wont survive that suspension or anticipated environments I plan to take it into. Large diesel mechanic and DC electrician I am...carpenter and RV savy? nope.

Want it minimalist inside like a WWII Navy ship "crew quarters" 2 bunks, head, shower, small galley and desk is about it. It will have a 3-71 Detroit genset for "hotel" power hanging on the frame rails. Comfort and quiet? Absolutely not.

Would welcome anyone that has suggestions on making a 20' conex into a combo living quarters/shop and making a pass thru from an old mack cab into the conex. This thing has got to be able to "go anywhere" and survive hail, floods, heat, cold, tornadoes, etc.

machine down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #2

Welcome to the site and good luck with the project.

FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #3

Looks like a fun project. I think there is a forum for guys converting conex into living quarters. BlizzardND would know about that. Here's another thought tho. Rather than trying to make it live forever. Why not just buy a cheap old beat up camper trailer. Set it on the frame and bolt it down as best you can. Then enjoy it and drive it everywhere and beat the heck out of it. When the trailer falls apart scrap it for a few bucks and get another and start all over. You can get used camper trailers for less than a medium condition used conex with nothing in it. Don't have to do any upfitting of the conex. You could be on the road in a day or two.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #4

That is a thought. Might investigate but I need the "shop" part and heavy walls/floor. BUT that is an excellent thought starter for the "crew quarters" portion.

Thanks
machine down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #5

Pull a enclosed trailer with all your shop stuff.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #6

Here's one ready to go: 1969 Brockway 361 converted motor home For Sale
Old 03-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #7

What I did before converting my truck was to go online and check out toy haulers. Both motorized and trailered. look at their setups and then draw out your own. You can go to RV surplus sites and find the furnishing you want and plot out a budget for your project. If you don't have tons of money invested, you can afford to alter your plan later. I have been on the road for three years with the current setup and am going to change it some because my needs have change a little. Another place to look for furniture is craigslist type sites. I bought the two front seats and a couch on craigslist for $100. I had to modify the bases a little, but it wasn't hard.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #8

When I did my trailer with living quarters 10 years ago I advertised for a wrecked camper and found a new unit that had fell off a trailer. I took it apart and didn't have to buy much else. I gave 2000 for it and was able to sell the remains after we gutted it to a young guy making a trailer. By doing that I was able to put way more stuff in the lq than I had anticipated.
dvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #9

why not look for a milarty truck or box with a field box on it?like a comm truck.gut what you don't want.
daddywoofdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #10

Welcome to the FUN that is truck conversions. Doc and I have very similar trucks (his is finished nicer than mine. But like you, I work on diesels, so I get covered in crap daily and no point in spending a small fortune on the inside only to ruin it a couple months later).
I posted a couple more pics under my thread (And So The Adventure Begins) if you need any basic (and I do mean basic) ideas.

AKat777 is offline   Reply With Quote