View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
machine down

Default A newbie getting bit by the dog

Well, it has been a dream for 20+ years and I am perhaps (foolishly?) about to make the plunge. Old Mack RS700. Pure mad dog. While the thing will be part RV, the remainder will be used as a combo school/shop going to disaster sites teaching/performing engine and heavy electrical repair for red cross, samaritans purse, etc.

This truck has very heavy specs 14K ft/44K rears camelback suspension. A typical RV or van box wont survive that suspension or anticipated environments I plan to take it into. Large diesel mechanic and DC electrician I am...carpenter and RV savy? nope.

Want it minimalist inside like a WWII Navy ship "crew quarters" 2 bunks, head, shower, small galley and desk is about it. It will have a 3-71 Detroit genset for "hotel" power hanging on the frame rails. Comfort and quiet? Absolutely not.

Would welcome anyone that has suggestions on making a 20' conex into a combo living quarters/shop and making a pass thru from an old mack cab into the conex. This thing has got to be able to "go anywhere" and survive hail, floods, heat, cold, tornadoes, etc.

machine down is offline   Reply With Quote