Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #1

Default What do you guys think?

1995 Freightliner FL60 Service Truck 1995 Freightliner FL60 Service Truck | eBay

Someone might have referenced this truck in another thread as it looks like it was originally in Texas and ended up in Canada.

If I have a truck with a lift gate, it has to be strong and long enough to lift a 3,500# car that is 17' long. And the box has to be long enough for a 20' garage and some reasonable living space.

So to use this truck, I'd probably remove the lift gate and either close in the back or leave the overhead back door, put in a bulk head, and leave 3 to 4 feet for additional storage, if I could get enough living space. And pull a trailer.

I notice that a number of you guys have converted the Freightliner FL60 chassis. Does the base FL60 chassis have the right frame, axels, hubs, components, trans, and engine for a successful T/C?

I plan on bumper pulling up to a 32' trailer with up to a weight of 15,000 to 18,000 pounds total for the trailer. Currently I have a 24' and probably gross out at 11,000 pounds.

As far as truck specs go, are those something I need to look at closely on all potential FL60 candidates? I suspect that different engines were available. Were there heavier optional front and rear axles that I should be considering for a successful T/C?

I've learned a lot through this forum and sincerely appreciate the opinions, advice, and counsel that everyone provides. And most of all, THANKS! for the time that everyone takes.

Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #2

Doesn't seem like it's got a lot of power.