Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 01-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #1

Default 2001 Peterbilt 387 Toterhome Project

I have been working on a conversion for the last few weeks I thought I would share. In April of 2012 I purchased a stock Peterbilt 387 with higher mileage. After a full in-frame, head work and much more including fresh 13spd we started the bigger chunk of the project. This is a build we are doing our self with just help from some friends. None of us have any experience doing this and thanks to reading on here and other sites the project is in motion. We are hoping for a complete project in 4 months, which is tuff since I work a full time job and just have friends help when they can. But progress is moving along pretty well so far....

Here is some pics of the truck process up to now.

Here is the stock truck as I bought it in April...

I used it a few times through last summer to haul my race trailer. My whole purpose is to have a place to hang out at the track and save hotels.

SoundEncounters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #2

In the beginning of December I had a good friend of mine who builds some of the coolest custom rigs on the west coast help me do the frame stretch. It only took him about a week to do the work. Basically we took a roll over 2-axle 379 he had in the yard, cut the back off and attached it to my chassis and had a local shop shorten a driveline to 3-piece the drive shafts. Extended the chassis by 114"

The plan here is we attach a 14' box to the back of the 5' sleeper giving me a 19' living space. So we used a Peterbilt sleeper ring for the box to cab.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #3

I am skipping some of the little photos in between, but the basics behind the box are 4" C-Channel around outside base. That is attached to 6" I-Beam which we recess down to allow channel to sit lower. We used 2" Angle across for center supports and screwed down a 3/4 plywood floor to sit flush at top of C-Channel. I had My brother's work fabricate some 12g steel radius corners and roof caps. I did not want square corners since the truck is so rounded to start. Plus this gave me ability to design the box with no screws exterior. The walls are built with 1" square tubing and the roof is 2" for added stability when we stand on top of it.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #4

For the sides I decided to go with FRP panels from TPD Trailers locally. It would then match the appearance of my trailer and give me that smooth seamless side I wanted to achieve. The corners we had built are pressed over the top of the siding to allow the panels to be secured on the ends. Each center wall section is secured using 3m tape that TPD uses on their trailers.

Paint the corners and the box is ready to sit on the frame...
Old 01-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #5

Here is it is lowered down on the truck. We secured it to the chassis by making our own u-bolts using big all thread and 3/16 flat bar.

It looks funny because of the height being lower then the cab. But to clear the in-motion dish and A/C on the roof we had to keep it about 11" lower then the cab to be safe. Next off season I am going to fiberglass some roof caps that will extend the appearance of the roof to match the height of the rid on the outside edges.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #6

This is where we left off Sunday night, now about 45 days into the primary build of the toter. We have electrical ran, insulation, and put an interior base wall to glue my interior panels too. Last night we fabricated up the rear bed and steps, tonight I should finish welding there and get it ready for paint.

What's left.... Once the bed is finished we will get our under cabinets fabbed and built. At that point I now have my areas to mount up my 36 gallon grey and black tanks, and my 100g fresh water tank and begin the plumbing for shower, sinks, hot water and etc. Most all of my parts are here with the exception of the generator. There so EXPENSIVE I am holding off on that until last. At that point its finish work on the interior and such, and hopefully be ready to use it come first weekend of March!
Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #7

Very nice. Keep the posts and pics coming.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #8

Looks great, I like the rounded corners to match the look of the truck. Are you in the Sacramento area? TPD makes nice trailers. Keep the pictures coming. Kenn
Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:24 AM   #9

Holy toterhome Batman! You guys don't fool around. When I started reading the thread I saw 4 months for projected build time, and I was thinking "double it and add a year" the way most of these projects work out, then I started reading and I stand corrected. Incredible progress and really nice work.

Are planning to build tool boxes below to house your generator, tanks, etc. and give it that finished toterhome look? Also looking forward to seeing what you did with the hauler bed.

Keep the pics coming!
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #10

Default wow

When I first read 4 months I thought it was a typo. Thats incredible what you have done in a short timeframe. I have been building a similar toter "part time" for the last four years! I wanted the box to match my race trailer as well. I did not lengthen the frame since I was trying to keep the overall "RV" length legal at 65'. The box only being 12', I deceided to install two 6' slideouts.
Keep the pic's coming. I need all the ideas I can get. MMM
Attached Thumbnails
100_2239.jpg   toterhome update 001.jpg   toter toolbox doors 014.jpg   toter one 028.jpg  

mmmc101 is offline   Reply With Quote