Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #21

...STRAPS STRETCH AND CHAINS DON'T....FWIW....AND YES, I HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH BOTH.......NO MOVING ANY OF MY EQUIPMENT WITHOUT CHAINS IN PLACE OR THE DRIVER LOOSES HIS/HER JOB ON THE SPOT...NO EXCEPTIONS....NO WARNINGS....EVEN IF THEY ARE THE BEST LOOKING DRIVER [FEMALE]THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN IN SHORT SHORTS AND A HALTER TOP IN MY EQUIPMENT....THEY WON'T DRIVE AGAIN FOR ME-NO EXCEPTIONS....I CAN FIX ALMOST ANYTHING-EXCEPT STOOOOOPID! AND TAKING A VEHICLE IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD/NECK IS JUST PLAIN TOO STUPID TO WORK WITH ME ANY LONGER.....geofkaye and the Rivercity Girlz....

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally posted by geofkaye:
...STRAPS STRETCH AND CHAINS DON'T....FWIW....AND YES, I HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH BOTH.......NO MOVING ANY OF MY EQUIPMENT WITHOUT CHAINS IN PLACE OR THE DRIVER LOOSES HIS/HER JOB ON THE SPOT...NO EXCEPTIONS....NO WARNINGS....EVEN IF THEY ARE THE BEST LOOKING DRIVER [FEMALE]THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN IN SHORT SHORTS AND A HALTER TOP IN MY EQUIPMENT....THEY WON'T DRIVE AGAIN FOR ME-NO EXCEPTIONS....I CAN FIX ALMOST ANYTHING-EXCEPT STOOOOOPID! AND TAKING A VEHICLE IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD/NECK IS JUST PLAIN TOO STUPID TO WORK WITH ME ANY LONGER.....geofkaye and the Rivercity Girlz....

Thanks GEO, i have always enjoyed your way with words and your willingness to share your vast experiance with us. As i am flying and chains will not be the best choice for my carry on luggage, i will definately buy some in Indiana and include them in my plan to secure the car, its good having you and Bob here to help me along, i build houses for a living but this Truck Conversion stuff is a bit new to me, AND I LOVE IT, G.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #23

So Geof. The rear has a solid axle on the Smart. But, I'll bet if you wrap a chain around it and reef it down you're going to bend it and void the warranty. The front is independent suspension. I sure wouldn't wrap a chain around one of the lower control arms and reef that down either. They simply aren't strong in my opinion. Go watch any car delivery truck at any dealer. You're never ever going to see the new cars strapped down with chains around some suspension bits. It seems about split the ones I've seen between running straps over each tire, and hooking a frame hook into the frame, or a dedicated member that the manufacturer builds into the car. They either have notches in the frame that accept a special hook, or they have a metal bracket that the hook fits into. The thing I don't like about hooking into the frame is that you have to cinch it down very tight so that it isn't possible to compress the suspension any further when going over bumps. I like locking the tires down to the floor and letting the suspension do it's job the way the manufacturer built it. But, if you've got chains and can hook them in somewhere positive, and it works for you do it.

Here's an interesting one (read post 2):
http://clubsmartcar.com/index....=threaded&pid=189759

Looks like maybe the Smarts don't have a frame attachment point? They have a screw in tow hook as BMW/Audi/etc... do?

This guy wraps the straps through the spokes of the wheels. That's going to leave a mark. We do the criss/cross with the chains as backup on my son's '99 Vette. It's really the only way to do it since if we tried to run the chains from the frame holes to the straight ahead/ or behind d-rings they rub on the inside walls of the tires.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.c...er-22323/index2.html
Old 04-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #24

The first picture of the green Smart shows the attachments I was referring to for the e-track. They are those short straps that he hooks his ratchet straps into. Can't tell how he hooked the front straps to the e-track. Maybe Smart's are very light? I just don't think e-track is that strong to trust a car to. I'd much rather have some large d-rings through bolted to the floor.

Here's a shot of the hooks I put in my trailer. Sorry I didn't take any pictures showing the underside, that's where the magic takes place. I got 4" aluminum angle (my entire trailer frame is aluminum). I cut sections of it about 5" long. I placed the piece of aluminum angle against the side of a trailer cross beam, under the decking of the trailer. Held up tight to the bottom of the wood decking. Clamp it to the cross member, drill two holes and bolt through with grade 8 bolts, and machine lock nuts (not nylock, machine lock have a slight peen over on one side of the nut making it stay put when you tighten them up). That way I could tighten the bolts until just starting to pinch onto the cross member and not have to crush it, and the nuts won't loosen. Then, drill the holes down through the floor and through the new angle plate. Then bolt the hooks on, again using grade 8 bolts and machine lock nuts. These baby's are strong! I got the d-rings at the wrecker supply store where I got the California roll back strap kit.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #25

That aluminum plate under the d-ring is a section of the angle that I cut off. I put that there to keep the vinyl flooring from binding on the hook.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #26

...STRAPPING THE SUSPENSION IS A GOOD WAY OF TOWING-I USE IT WHEN TOWING A VEHICLE THAT IS _N_O_T_ SCRAP...EX:BOATS AND LAWNMOWERS -TRACTORS TRUCKS AND CARS AND A WHOLE VARIETY OF OTHER THINGS.....AND HERE IS THE ISSUE....IF THE VEHICLE IS INVOLVED IN A ACCIDENT OR A CRASH....THE STRAPS WILL GIVE AND THE GIVE WILL ADD TO THE WEIGHT TRANSFER THAT MOVES FORWARD CAUSING A SECOND COLLISION ON THE WRECKER BED...AND THAT IS CATASTROPHIC......YOUR BODY IS IN FRONT OF THE CAR....STUFF HAPPENS-THE ISSUE HERE IS THAT THE CHAIN WILL NOT ALLOW THE CAR TO SLAM INTO THE STRAPS-AND I REALLY DON'T CARE IF THE CAR IS TOTALED-IN A CRASH THE TRICK IS TO SURVIVE...NOTHING IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN MY LIFE....EVERYTHING ELSE IS REPLACEABLE-THAT IS WHY I CARRY INSURANCE-IT BECOMES THEIR JOB TO MAKE MATERIAL THINGS WHOLE....FROM MY EXPERIENCE -THE INSURANCE COMPANIES DO A PRETTY GOOD JOB ON EVERYTHING BUT MY BODY AND THE BODIES OF MY CREW.........THEY CAN NOT MAKE _ME/THEM WHOLE AGAIN.....I COULD REPLACE MY CREW SO MY ISSUE IS PROTECTION OF MYSELF SECOND MY CREW.....CUZ NOW THAT I HAVE THEM TRAINED I'D HATE TO LOOSE THEM......geofkaye and the Rivercity Girlz
Old 04-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #27

I understand you don't want it to come loose Geof. I just don't understand where you think Gene should attach those chains. I don't think it would work to wrap a chain around the tire.

Hay Gene, I found these at Northern: http://www.northerntool.com/sh.../product_13818_13818 . Funny they show it draped over a large race tire yet in their catalogue they say it's only good to a 9" wide tread max. These might work better for you if your e-track is directly under the tires, or you could put some d-rings down like I did right where you want them.

Looking how close you are at the front there's no way you're going to be able to hook into the frame and go up front like that guy did on his trailer in my earlier post. You're going to have to attach something into the frame and go out the sides at the front, or strap down the tires like I do.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #28

Very nice pictures!!!!!!
Holy Cow!.... a loving younger wife that keeps me going, a 6 yo little lady that is a princess/tom girl, a 14 yo that thinks he can sled better than a 30 year veteran sledder, and a 19 year old that is a soldier...
wedooit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #29

went to tow411.net most of them are putting cloth in rims and using straps through rims. i like the idea of mounted stop blocks in front of tires and just straping down rear. what about cutting floor and dropping down floor and welding pockets for tires to set in.
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #30

That's a cool idea too. I don't think you even need to do any welding. You could buy some of those wheel caster things that they sell at Harbor Freight or Northern. Take the casters off, cut the holes in the floor, set the wheels things down in and bolt them down. You could seal them in with silicone or liquid nails. Assuming they need to go somewhere that there is nothing underneath in the way. I'd still want to strap them in those dips tho.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #31

That tow411.net is a cool site. I found this thread there with some pictures of the Smart being towed. Wheel straps, the way I said. One has some chains wrapped up around something but only apparently as a safety measure, there' no tension on the chains.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #32

Sorry, forgot to put the thread link in: http://tow411.yuku.com/reply/6...ar.html#reply-631838
Old 04-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #33

A buddy of mine uses these tie down systems to haul his very expensive Old Shelby Mustangs he likes this system and I think it may be a solution for you too. (Maybe not I just remembered your tight quarters, you may have a heck of a time tying that car down.
Travel Lite lockdowns

You may have to think about a winch, spool out a bunch of cable, then hook up the car, then winch it up into the truck tight against some custom built chock blocks for the front tires, then ratchet strap the rear down and into place.

blizz
Old 04-07-2010, 04:36 PM   #34

Okay Gene, how did it go? How do you strap the car in? Any pictures for us? Did it stay put? I'm dying to know.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #35

O man, having an absolute blast, Got into Silver Crown Sat, spent easter weekend in the parking lot. went over every inch of the rig, few minor repairs done on Monday, then i noticed a little oil leaking from the tailpipe of the Generator,spent mon night in the parking lot at Onan. Loaded up the gen for 7 hrs under a full load, rings seated, took off mon afternoon 2pm, drove till 10pm, slept in Wallmart in Ohio, woke up at 5am, drove till 5pm nonstop to SC. The rig is a Beast and i love it. Tied down the Smart Car with ratchet straps to the E track, and built, over easter weekend in the parking lot of Silver Crown, a Chock system that wedges the car between the front wall and the rear door, i will take photos, the car did not budge. Internet service is sporadic, photos soon, thanks to all, as i lay here writing this the rain is pounding on the roof of my loft bedroom, a breeze is blowing in my awning windows, my wife is just walking in up the stairs, and life is great, Gene
Old 04-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #36

...I love it when it all comes together and you are satisfied......geofkaye and the Rivercity Girlz
Old 04-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #37

That is great news! I wish I was out enjoying my t/c. Mine's been resting in the shop all winter. Next weekend we're taking a trip down to Omaha, just for the weekend. Mother in law is coming to visit with her sister. Father in law loves to ride in the t/c, sipping his beer and watching a movie or satelite. Glad they made those chocks up. This forum is great huh?
Old 04-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally posted by blizzardND:
A buddy of mine uses these tie down systems to haul his very expensive Old Shelby Mustangs he likes this system and I think it may be a solution for you too. (Maybe not I just remembered your tight quarters, you may have a heck of a time tying that car down.
Travel Lite lockdowns

You may have to think about a winch, spool out a bunch of cable, then hook up the car, then winch it up into the truck tight against some custom built chock blocks for the front tires, then ratchet strap the rear down and into place.

blizz

Blizz, i really like the way that system looks, I am going to call them to get specs and pricing, the E track worked great but i like the way this system keeps the straps under the car and tight, i will give me more free space on the sides of my car for storage, i have about 18" on each side after the car is parked, Thanks again, Gene