Thread: Quiet Here
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #23
Bob86ZZ4

So Geof. The rear has a solid axle on the Smart. But, I'll bet if you wrap a chain around it and reef it down you're going to bend it and void the warranty. The front is independent suspension. I sure wouldn't wrap a chain around one of the lower control arms and reef that down either. They simply aren't strong in my opinion. Go watch any car delivery truck at any dealer. You're never ever going to see the new cars strapped down with chains around some suspension bits. It seems about split the ones I've seen between running straps over each tire, and hooking a frame hook into the frame, or a dedicated member that the manufacturer builds into the car. They either have notches in the frame that accept a special hook, or they have a metal bracket that the hook fits into. The thing I don't like about hooking into the frame is that you have to cinch it down very tight so that it isn't possible to compress the suspension any further when going over bumps. I like locking the tires down to the floor and letting the suspension do it's job the way the manufacturer built it. But, if you've got chains and can hook them in somewhere positive, and it works for you do it.

Here's an interesting one (read post 2):
http://clubsmartcar.com/index....=threaded&pid=189759

Looks like maybe the Smarts don't have a frame attachment point? They have a screw in tow hook as BMW/Audi/etc... do?

This guy wraps the straps through the spokes of the wheels. That's going to leave a mark. We do the criss/cross with the chains as backup on my son's '99 Vette. It's really the only way to do it since if we tried to run the chains from the frame holes to the straight ahead/ or behind d-rings they rub on the inside walls of the tires.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.c...er-22323/index2.html