Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-13-2004, 02:09 PM   #1

I have owned several "traditional" RV's, including two upper-line diesel Class A's. I presently have a Monaco Dynasty, which I have had for about 6 years.
Because of the high depreciation, low price-to-quality ratio, low safety factor, and numerous other factors, I am considering going to a truck conversion. However, not having had first hand experience with this type of RV, would appreciate any comments, both positve and negative.
At this point, I am thinking in terms of probably a Freightliner Columbia with either the MB or Detroit Series 60 engine and the Freedom Trans. Will probably get a 30-ft.box (overall length 41-42 ft). I have looked at Dynamax, Renegade, Haulmark, and PowerHouse Coach. In my opinion, Dynamax is very expensive for what you get. PowerHouse Coach is also very expensive, has "travel trailer" quality in the RV box, and has many other shortcomings. Therefore, at this point, am narrowed down to Kibbi and Haulmark.
I would very much appreciate comments on that would assist in my education on truck conversions since I am a "newbie" to this world.
Thanks,
Tom

Tom Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 04:40 PM   #2

Looks to me like you've got your eyes wide open. Your comments on Powerhouse and Dynamax are on the mark. One other unit you might want to check out is the Showhauler (you WILL hear this from others on this site!). They are WAYYYY more flexible on doing what you want than Haulmark or Renegade. If you are going to spend the moolah these rigs call for, you might as well get EXACTLY what you want, and for a fair price. Happy hunting!

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 06:41 PM   #3

Don't forget United Specialties. We looked at Kibbi and Haulmark. Kibbi on the 30' box used compartments for tanks and it left like 3 of 8 for stuff, could have been the one we saw, but it turned us off. The Haulmark quality and lay out seemed tired and the bunk room wasn't the same. we thoroughly enjoy our United and would buy from them again. Price was fair and we feel we got a great unit for the price. The factory has been great in answering questions too.
Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 07:46 PM   #4

If you are looking at that large a unit you might also check out NRC Modifications. Their factory is located about 5 minutes east of Haulmark and Renegade. You see a lot of 40 ft plus units from NRC around the drag strips.

I have been through all of the factories except Dynamax and I found Haulmark the least willing to make any changes. Renegade makes a lot of different models but also somewhat limits what they can custom build. Showhauler, United Specialities and NRC are more willing to custom build a floor plan or features you want.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:17 PM   #5

.....Tom-go with Lonnie/Showhauler or custom build yourself-there are some things that I personally don't like about Showhaulers-like all that stained/varnished woodwork-but that's just me- and it could be painted with a good grade of enamel-I don't like the raised panels in the cabinets-but they could be changed......things like that bug only me-and Lonnie at Showhauler was ready to meet/exceed my expectations.....had I not run into a few new employees[women] that were willing to build the truck/trailer and a trailer manufacture in Indiana who built a custom trailer-then practically gave it to me and a Freightliner Salesman who bent over backwards to get a truck in the condition I wanted at the price I was willing to pay and then did all the upgrades I asked-AT COST!-Ida gone and spent the $100,000 plus with Lonnie/Showhauler....but as it truns out with using my own people....I got exactly what I wanted for $45,000 and change....I'm happer than a pig is chit......geof-now If I could just get a weekend off.......
Old 11-14-2004, 02:48 AM   #6

Just found this site and haven't read everything YET.
So for now I'll ask these questions.
Has anyone tried to do a Kingsley Coach conversion to be an ambulance / First response vehicle?

I'm in Alaska and am looking into various platforms for an agency first response / security vehicle.
The vehicle would be staffed by at least 3 security / emt's + driver.

The service area would be 100miles one direction.
and 80miles another direction.
and 100miles another direction.
and if needed a 250mile drive SW to Anchorage.

In our part of the State the roads we'd travel are paved, except for a few outlying remote villages where the roads are gravel, very rough / potholed and about 20' to 30' wide.

If overnight stays in an area are needed then 4 bunks behind the cab would be needed. A "slouch through" walk through would connect the cab to the back area.

Hey! I'm dreaming big now. I'll look back on this forum later.
Peace.
Flyinghorse
AlaskaETT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 05:08 AM   #7

I am looking at a 32' conversion by NRC, Showhauler or United thru their dealers. I am wondering about the chassis, do they do a streach or what wheelbase do you order for a 32'? I am considering a Freightliner Cloumbia with a 450 to 500 hp.
DKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 02:12 PM   #8

If you order a new truck it can be built at whatever wheelbase you desire, within the limits of common sense. A used truck, however, must be stretched unless you somehow luck out and find one long enough(not bloody likely). The one I am planning is not very long, and will probably be able to find one close to the wheelbase I need. It just depends on what you want.
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 02:51 PM   #9

In a word... WOW!!
I've had time to read a few posts and to look around on the links. Look at photos and save a few.
I even found the Kingsley Coach site.
Next on the agenda is to get my cdl and start fundraising and grantwriting.
This is a cool site.
samuel
Old 11-14-2004, 07:19 PM   #10

AlaskaETT. Because most of the companies will do custom layouts almost all of them could probably build a suitable vehicle.

I have seen a Renegade police "command center" type of vehicle that the Northglenn, CO police department bought. I also remember that at one time Renegade had a special section on their web site about vehicles being designed for government agencies, police, fire, etc. Their web site is www.kibbi. You might see if they still have that section.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:09 AM   #11

thanks for input cm.
I have been looking around the net and have found much more than i wanted to know about emergency response vehicles.

as a security guard agency, i want to do lots of emt duties as well, which is why i'm partial to semi's and sleepers and the walkaround cabins that are available on the kingsley style models i see.

guard & patrol, shoot 'em up / patch 'em up i guess. drive for a few hours to a site and stay for up to 2 weeks in the summer weather, like on scene during the alaska fire season when base camps spring up on the alaska roads throughout the state. you really can't do that in a cheezy looking square, rolling block. you need a streamlined good looking rig.

my uncle drives truck and i'm sold on having a long haul platform; weight in winter on icy roads, speed, for a type II or type III response.

sometimes the alaska weather grounds aircraft and we all know what happened for a week after 9/11.
of course, the 02 earthwuake that hit denali area didn't help the roads by tok alaska either.

thanks for the link info, i'll check up on the renegade model.

samuel
Old 11-15-2004, 09:24 PM   #12

.....I don't think I'd have a motorhome manufacture build an emergancy unite.....I don't think it will/can be rated.....I'd stick with a manufacture like Seagrave or E-One and have a uite built from the ground up....that could be rated.....geof
Old 11-16-2004, 01:45 AM   #13

yeah... you're probably right. After all, you people know this subject more than I do.

I'm not looking for a motorhome to live in year round I just need a rolling office away from home.

My agency will get some good vehicles eventually and we'll do just fine but it doesn't hurt to look far ahead and dream...dD

And I dream of pulling up onsite in an extended cab (4doors / 4 chairs in the cabin + extended sleeper) Let the slacker employees drive the chase truck dP

speaking of which.... does anyone have pictures of a 4 door kingsley?? I'd love to see them.

my uncle thinks I'm crazy for being so obsessed about the extended cab & chassis on the tractors.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Samuel
Old 11-16-2004, 08:58 AM   #14

Alaska,
The more I read from you the more I tried to think where I saw something that I thought you would like... got it... it is no longer available methinks but it is definitely unique...take a look,
John
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
5erFool (John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 08:59 AM   #15

ps the truck not the 5er
5erFool (John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 09:03 AM   #16

Here is kibbi's site on custom response vehicles.

http://www.groundzerovehicles.com/FPCD.asp
Old 11-16-2004, 09:12 PM   #17

.....can your group except/use/transport a used vehicle.....part of my extended family sells Seagrave for a local company....if your serious I could tell him what your interested in-as he does see bid/build/outfit/rebuild/remodel/upgrade a lot of unites-one of which might fit your needs -and in some cases since you are a non-profit could arange for a transfer of title-at no cost to your group-since there is not a great market for used fire equipment around these parts of the country[mostly you can't give them away].....our local department just sold a 25 year old pumper[20,000 miles] with a new engine[Detroit] and up-graded transmission[allison auto] with 6 one year old 11X24.5 tires[goodyear] for $3000.00.....I had a fit since the engine alone was worth $10,000....but they didn't tell me before the sale or I would have scraped out the truck in one day and made a few bucks in the deal......geof
Old 11-21-2004, 01:03 PM   #18

Just looking for now, but thanks for the offers of help.
In the near future I will be traveling and working out in western and northern alaska. no time to buy anything on wheels when there are no state roads (connecting to anchorage or fairbanks)
samuel.