Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-31-2021, 11:40 PM   #1

Default Fatbed on HDT

Awaiting delivery of 2119 Mack Anthem class 8 with 70" sleeper. I will be re registering it as non commercial. My plan is to lengthen the frame rails beyond axles 1-2', install a removable flatbed and haul my sandrail on truck chassie. Sand rail weight is 4,000 lbs. Then to install rear bulkhead with class V hitch to haul my bumper pull 28" toy hauler.
This will increase my "toy" hauler space and give me the ability to take 1-2 days trips without needing the trailer.

What I'm needing is guidance and help with ideas for the flatbed construction. I'm a competent mig welder and have built 2 untility trailers in the past. I'm just looking for ideas to make this a modular design so I can easily convert the truck back to it's original configuration if needed. Probably a metal frame with wooden deck to make removal lighter and easier, and bolting most substructures together instead of welding it as solid unit.

And help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Mack.jpg  

The Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:07 PM   #2

I think just a standard "c" chanel perimetre frame with some "i" beam or angle iron cross bars would work spaced out every so many feet between the timber deck pieces.

So think big chanel flame each end fastebed to the frame rails, slid timbers into chanel, then slide in angle or i bean, more timbers, rinse/repeat till you cap the end at the length you want. So you basically end up with everything incased in those "c" chanels ...everything bolted together and then clamped to the rails.

6cuda6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:51 PM   #3

I have done this to my Peterbilt 387. It is listed for sale on this forum with pictures.
crushton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bomb View Post
Awaiting delivery of 2119 Mack Anthem class 8 with 70" sleeper. I will be re registering it as non commercial. My plan is to lengthen the frame rails beyond axles 1-2', install a removable flatbed and haul my sandrail on truck chassie. Sand rail weight is 4,000 lbs. Then to install rear bulkhead with class V hitch to haul my bumper pull 28" toy hauler.
This will increase my "toy" hauler space and give me the ability to take 1-2 days trips without needing the trailer.

What I'm needing is guidance and help with ideas for the flatbed construction. I'm a competent mig welder and have built 2 untility trailers in the past. I'm just looking for ideas to make this a modular design so I can easily convert the truck back to it's original configuration if needed. Probably a metal frame with wooden deck to make removal lighter and easier, and bolting most substructures together instead of welding it as solid unit.

And help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Here is mine, it's not done as I am waiting on some left over pieces from a pole barn I am building from drill stem pipe. I used 3 inch channel iron for the framing, 6 inch channel iron to cap the ends off with, 3 inch channel iron welded to the frame of the bed then drilled holes in the chassis frame to bolt it on, stake pockets from local steel supplier, 2 inch by 3/8 thick iron for rub rail, and two quarter inch pipes one inside other for the back bumper. Reason for back bumper as such is so I can take my trailer ramps and use them on the rig too.
Attached Thumbnails
468A0DA6-CED9-4A78-98A8-9678842A67FF.jpg   20656715-CB2B-4DD2-8127-55D827804A5E.jpg   B2CFBDB8-6EEE-4B23-B56B-0DA2CCBAF5AF.jpg   942306A9-C982-40FE-8613-451341754B5F.jpg  
Weldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:48 PM   #5

More of it, I had to move the muffler so it could fit. I just cut it off at the 90 and swiveled it down, then took the chrome 90 off muffler and U bolted it to the other 90.
Lumber comes from the trees milled on our property and all fabricated with solar power from the system I built.
Attached Thumbnails
06049593-DCED-45E8-AC23-704D5EF08FD9.jpg   8DFC55B7-37C3-4B94-B1A6-39C9B00779A9.jpg   8487B2EB-9F6F-48ED-BDE2-521F095525F6.jpg  
Weldman is offline   Reply With Quote