Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-22-2003, 07:08 PM   #1

Truck conversion motorhomes and toterhomes are alive at NHRA drag races.

I spent last week at Bandimere Speedway on the west side of Denver, Colorado at the NHRA Mile High Nationals. Especially in the Sportsman pits there were many makes and models of truck conversions.

In the manufacturers midway area Renegade had a 22 foot Toterhome, combo rear axle on a Freightliner Columbia chassis with a "Freedom" fully automatic transmission. They also had a 40 stacker race traler for it to tow. Haulmark had a 28 foot motorhome with a 32 foot stacker trailer. There was also was a Wildside conversion on a Mack truck.

In the Sportsman pits were a lot of Renegades, several United Specialites (Trendsetter)conversions. Some conversions by NRC and at least two Showhauler conversions. Also a couple of older conversions by S&S Welding.

If you have never been to a NHRA or IHRA drag race the pits are completly open to spectators. While the racers are of course buisy when they are making runs if you approach them when things are slow most are very friendly. A simple question of "how do you like your motorhome/toterhome" will usually give you some good information. Most are willing to let you look at their rig. If it is a national event, where the manufacturers are displaying then the dealers or factory reps will give you the full tour.

Go to NHRA.com and you can find the national and divisional race schedules and see it there is an event near you. Plus if it is a national event and you have never seen nitro dragsters or funny cars it is an interesting show.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:32 PM   #2

When we attend the NHRA races in Pomona I find myself spending two hours during the day in the sportsman pits checking out the "rigs", a couple of hours in the Pro pits, and the rest of the day watching races.

I've asked several of the conversion owners if I can check out their vehicles ... they all gladly gave a tour ...

But I gotta tell ya, I have a hard time picking out who made the various conversion units. The United Specialties, NRC's and Showhaulers all look similar at first appearance.
SandCarFan is offline   Reply With Quote