Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-15-2003, 09:02 PM   #1

I see a number of conversions with minimal ground clearance on the sides. Given the length of these vehicles does this pose a problem with driveways, transitions into some camping areas, etc.?

One thing that may drive this is the size of the generators they install on the side.

Others thoughts?

SandCarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 07:44 AM   #2

I thought it would be a problem, because on my Coachmen motorhome which was only 30' I dragged ass all over the place and that sat much higher.

I have yet to drag on the sides or the bottom on this. I only have a 10' overhang, where most motorhomes (gassers anyway) have up to 15'!

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com

Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 06:22 PM   #3

Look at this pic: http://www.showhauler.com/cgi-bin/im....jpg&img=8&tt=

There is a couple feet less tail than my old Safari. Looks like a few more inches of clearance too.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 11:58 PM   #4

Using your picture you linked to is a good example. I keep thinking the height along the sides should be a parallel line equal to the centerline of the front and rear axles. Given the wheelbase, I'd think even another 4 or five inches would be much better than the height of the unit in the photo.

The rear overhang from the rear axle is also a good point. In affect, you have the distance from the rear axle center line to the centerline of the forward-most axle on the trailer behind. I find I end up hitting the bottom of the drawbar on my hitch. I also rub the base of the rear of my trailer in some driveways (but it has wide steel rollers to protect the rear of the trailer frame.

Do any of you out there with motorhome truck conversions have the rollers installed on the rear of your truck? Obviously Toterhomes don't need them ...
Old 07-18-2003, 07:19 AM   #5

Well I have a question about "The other side of the coin".

What is the typical height of conversions (Roof height) ??????
W5IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 08:14 AM   #6

I was told 12'6". I have not measured, and I am not sure if that is to the roof or to the top of the AC units. I will try to check maybe this weekend. I have yet to clean the ac's, dish & vents off so I know I am under 13' 5". Went under a bridge that low a few weekends ago, did make me flinch though.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 03:32 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SandCarFan:
Using your picture you linked to is a good example. I keep thinking the height along the sides should be a parallel line equal to the centerline of the front and rear axles. Given the wheelbase, I'd think even another 4 or five inches would be much better than the height of the unit in the photo.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everyone has a preference. I think if it were higher it would look like one of those ridiculous trailers w/ 2' of clearance under them. The higher you go there is a higher center of gravity, more noticed wind effect. Keep in mind these trucks are huge, there is alot more clearance than appears. I think you can adjust the bag pressure to raise and lower a few inches...Warpath?
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 07:00 PM   #8

Geez, that'd be even better if you could adjust ride height even if it's based on speed, kinda like changes are allowed below 10 MPH thing.

My hobby has me parking on "road base" parking areas that sometimes have less than stellar flatness, hence my interest in a bit more ground clearance.

I agree with Patrick's comment about trailers with flipped axles to go with their F350 with a lift kit under it. I have no idea why they screw up the suspension and balance of the trailer. Would seem easier to just not spend the money on the lift kit on the truck

Regardless, back on topic ... I'm not looking for a bunch of additional height, just another four or five inches above what the one in the picture has. For that matter, do the air bags on these trucks empty out when you park them (e.g., like a bus does?
Old 07-19-2003, 04:00 PM   #9

You don't need to have a lift kit or large tires on your pickup to run into clearance problems. I have a stock F250 4X4 with stock tires, and my 34' Holiday Rambler would not clear the bed. The previous owner had to have the suspension modified to raise the axels about 2 inches more than the original suspension would allow, and it still comes darn close to the sides of the truck bed if you are on any kind ov an angle (such as backing into my driveway).

Not only do I have a problem with clearance at the bed, but also at the rear of the trailer when backing into my driveway (which is kind of steep). I currently have to back part of the way in, then place 2"X10"'s behind the tires, and back onto them, to raise the trailer and keep the rear of the frame from dragging. I tried to get taller tires for the trailer, but the taller tires would not carry the weight that the shorter ones do.

Having a big rig with air ride would make getting into the driveway much easier (I hope, as I could just dump the airbags in the rear of the truck, which would lower the nose of the trailer, and raise the rear, giving me the clearance I need).

Now I know that my trailer is an older model and the newer ones seem to have more clearance, but they still just barely clear the average 4X4 (I have a friend with a newer 5er and a Dodge 4X4 and they have the same problem).

While a 4X4 is not exactly the best tow rig (the extra weight of the 4 wheel drive system really limits the amount of weight we can pull), some of us need it to get around in the winter!

Jeff in South Dakota
1995 Ford F-250 4X4 PSD
1992 Skamper Slide in camper
1984 Holiday Rambler 5er
1979 Mercedes Benz Unimog
Junk Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 08:43 PM   #10

Oh, I'm not bashing those that need to accomodate higher vehicles in general, just those that make them higher without thinking about the repercussions
Old 07-19-2003, 08:45 PM   #11

I hate to sound so ill informed but can you really dump the air and still move these vehicles? I thought you could only dump the air when you're stationary ... that's cool if you can
Old 07-19-2003, 09:45 PM   #12

What are those reprocussions that your speaking about?...I have a Dodge 4X4 Cummins with 37's and no modification of body or any lift kit....geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 11:41 PM   #13

geof,
When you use a body lift or a suspension lift, there's more to consider than just getting it into the air.
Steering geometry, drive shaft angles, center of gravity and a few other items get shanged. If you don't make the appropriate accomidations, such as a modified pitman arm, shimming the axles and adding anti-sway bars, you're asking for trouble.

SandCarFan,
Yes. It is possible to dump the air-bags while in motion. You can also adjust for ride height and softness.
However, driving with the air-bags deflated is hazardous to the health of your drive-shaft, rear-end, u-joints, carrier bearings and transmission. This is because it changes the shaft-to-yoke angle, causing a severe vibration in your drive-line.
For this same reason, it is ill-advised to adjust the air-bags for height and comfort unless you're prepared and capable to change the position of your rear diff to compensate.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 08:05 AM   #14

Other accommodations include: hitch height, fifth wheel to bed clearances, if you replace springs ... weight rating and progression rate, are their still overload springs, changes in handling (pitch and roll).
Old 07-20-2003, 04:51 PM   #15

I woulkdn't dump the airbags while going down the road, just when I was backing into my driveway, or some other such spot where I needed the extra clearance at the back of the trailer that lowering the rear of the truck would allow.

Jeff in South Dakota
1995 Ford F-250 4X4 PSD
1992 Skamper Slide in camper
1984 Holiday Rambler 5er
1979 Mercedes Benz Unimog

Junk Man is offline   Reply With Quote