Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-11-2021, 04:21 AM   #1

Default Trouble with police?

Hello,

Hopefully I'm not posting this in the wrong place if it is, I can post it somewhere else.

I was wondering for anyone that has done a truck conversion. If you've ever had issues with Police or Dot for running a truck conversion registered as an RV. Primarily asking on opinions of you that race.

My main concern is how close we'll get to the 26k lbs weight and if we'd get screwed with DOT, due to us racing. I don't want to build it and get screwed with thousands of dollars in fines. Granted I've been racing open wheel cars in Indiana and Ohio for the last 8 or so years. Only made enough money a couple years to even have to claim it on taxes, so i'm not making any money racing. We was going to get a normal motorhome, but know people that have them and they were always terrible for pulling their race trailers.

I've considered doing a cheap truck conversion. Get a decent cab&chassis truck like an old Uhaul or some other truck (Uhaul is just an example.) Getting a 90's-00's camper and plopping it on the back of the truck and using it to pull the race trailer. It doesn't have to be the best truck, just functional. I just want to build something to be a little more comfortable to sleep in, have a toilet and shower for us, that's not my 15 passenger van. We're just a lower budget race team and our race trailer is by far nothing special. It's literally a '78 28ft camper that we gutted, made the inside nice how we wanted it, cut some of the back off, custom made doors and made it an enclosed trailer. Pretty good enclosed trailer for spending $1000 to do. It's very stealthy also, no one knows a race car is in it.

Thanks

Corky3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:57 AM   #2

I dont think youll have a problem as long as it looks good, is safe and is weight legal. I find that if your vehicle looks suspect you can be sure they will pull you in but if it looks like it belongs you should be good.

6cuda6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:50 AM   #3

Yeah, That's one reason we kind of wanted to try a normal motorhome so no questions was asked, a normal motorhome, doesn't look commercial to a point a TC can. But we know to many people that have normal motorhomes, just wasn't good for what we'd want to use it for. At least the way they was explaining their issues with them.
Corky3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:00 PM   #4

IF you can get it registered as an RV it won’t matter.
If not then it will matter, doesn’t matter if you make money or not, if you compete for prize money that makes it commercial.
Ohio is not a friendly state to register a RV. In addition to all of the interior modifications needed, the fifth wheel MUST be removed.
Ttnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:21 PM   #5

Three years on the road and no problems here, then again I am registered in Montana. I agree with Ttnj remove the 5th wheel.
Weldman is offline   Reply With Quote