View Single Post
Old 04-11-2021, 04:21 AM   #1
Corky3D

Default Trouble with police?

Hello,

Hopefully I'm not posting this in the wrong place if it is, I can post it somewhere else.

I was wondering for anyone that has done a truck conversion. If you've ever had issues with Police or Dot for running a truck conversion registered as an RV. Primarily asking on opinions of you that race.

My main concern is how close we'll get to the 26k lbs weight and if we'd get screwed with DOT, due to us racing. I don't want to build it and get screwed with thousands of dollars in fines. Granted I've been racing open wheel cars in Indiana and Ohio for the last 8 or so years. Only made enough money a couple years to even have to claim it on taxes, so i'm not making any money racing. We was going to get a normal motorhome, but know people that have them and they were always terrible for pulling their race trailers.

I've considered doing a cheap truck conversion. Get a decent cab&chassis truck like an old Uhaul or some other truck (Uhaul is just an example.) Getting a 90's-00's camper and plopping it on the back of the truck and using it to pull the race trailer. It doesn't have to be the best truck, just functional. I just want to build something to be a little more comfortable to sleep in, have a toilet and shower for us, that's not my 15 passenger van. We're just a lower budget race team and our race trailer is by far nothing special. It's literally a '78 28ft camper that we gutted, made the inside nice how we wanted it, cut some of the back off, custom made doors and made it an enclosed trailer. Pretty good enclosed trailer for spending $1000 to do. It's very stealthy also, no one knows a race car is in it.

Thanks
Corky3D is offline   Reply With Quote