Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-04-2004, 12:47 PM   #1

How tall are the majority of the conversions?

Does it make a difference between chasis?

I have a 12 foot high door to my shop.

pjcnlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 01:46 PM   #2

Many of the conversion companies run 7' or 7 1/2' inside ceilings heights so your roof height will be 13' 2" plus at the top of the ac unit.

Bill

Old 11-04-2004, 02:41 PM   #3

I had an interesting conversation the other day with Allen at Flying A Trucks at Cuba Missouri. He is specking out some trucks for the Waco Texas fire department and dealing with 12 ft. high doors in all the old fire houses. The emergency responce people want as much height inside as possible but have all kinds of electronic gear to put on top of the truck boxes. Here are some things that might help:
1)Low profile AC saves 3 or 4 inches
2)Go to 19.5 inch tires instead of 22.5 (maybe some handling problem issues and weight carrying issues, ask warpath for some good information).
3)Consider a low profile truck like the international 4300 or 4400 (GVW issues depending on the weight of your planned box).
4)Some companies will build lower profile boxes I believe. Maybe a 6'6" interior instead of 7' plus.
5)Increase garage door height

I continue to learn alot about these new truck RV's. I am fast coming to the conclusion that there is a market developing for the non-racer truck RV with the emphasis on RV much like warpath is building. My judgement is that 13' plus heights are an issue that must be dealt with to broaden this market and I think there are or will be some solutions. Our current fifth wheel will just clear 12' and I would have to really be careful with a higher rig on the roads and parks that we frequent.

Hope this helps.
Steve
Steve/SWMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 07:01 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pjcnlv:
How tall are the majority of the conversions?

Does it make a difference between chasis?

I have a 12 foot high door to my shop. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
hey pjcnlv
our MDT, a international 4900 with tall 22.5'ers and a converted dry van body (17'x 102"wide x 97"inside) is 12'6" total height.
our new truck, a Peterbilt 379 with 24.5'ers and a converted lo pro "penske" moving body (25'x 96"wide x 85"inside) will be 11'6"
no A/C on the roof; im thinking about using a MiniSplit A/C mounted in one of the side boxes
hope that helps
-in the shop: Pete "38
spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 07:19 PM   #5

do you really need a 7' or greater ceiling height? ours is 6'-6" and we don't notice the dif.-- this does keep the weight down a bit and lowers the c.g.-- also don't know how much more efficent that makes the heat/ac but it can't hurt-- with all that said it's a T2000 with 22.5 s and measures 12' 2 1/2" at the top of the satellite cover{it's auto tracking and is maybe 2" higher than the ac units}- oh-- with the price of fuel where it is, i am glad i'm as aero as possible-- {not that it's any great help} -- hope this helps--- mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:55 PM   #6

....my Volvo 610 tractor is 10'-10" and the trailer is 8'-7" at the center of the middle axel and the trailing axel is 84" from the rear of the trailer-there 1s a 3" steel roller across the back underside of the trailer and slider plates on the rear "C" channel to make it slide over anything if it grounds out....I did this to get my CG as low as possible if I have a car or boat inside the trailer- the interior ceiling is 6'5" end to end....I wanted to be as close to the road as the tractors underside....as I saw no practical reason to be any higher than the underside of the tractor....now, if I could come up with some trailer air dams.....huummm......geof
Old 11-06-2004, 09:33 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by warpath:
Many of the conversion companies run 7' or 7 1/2' inside ceilings heights so your roof height will be 13' 2" plus at the top of the ac unit.

Bill <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I noticed your rig at http://truckhome.com/eve/forums?m=15...17&f=617607117

It looks to be a lot more "low profile" than most. What is the overall height of that rig sand the AC but including roof vents etc.?

I really want one of these rigs but, it must fit through my shop door. I am not parking it outside in the harsh desert climate. Raising the door another foot is out as well because the top of the door is near the roof line of the building.

If I went with an FL70 chassis could I see a height just under 12 feet?

I know that the Jayco Seneca on the GM chasis is 142 inches. I'd rather step up to a Renegade though.
pjcnlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 01:54 PM   #8

pjcnlv -

That was my old rig which had air ride on the front & rear. By blowing the bags you gain about 4-6 inches depending on ride height

That one had a height of 12'8" I believe when the bags where deflated.

Bill