Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-06-2004, 11:13 AM   #1

I want to address the issue of passenger seating, that is passengers # 3, 4, 5, 6...who might be in the rig while driving and their seating positions.

I always thought the best seats are either in the front, ie driver or passenger, or behind them with big opening windows on the sides so you can see where you are going forward and out the side windows.

When driving at night, in the rain, at freeway speeds in the mountains on unfamiliar roads...another set of eyes on the road can be of assistance to watch out for road hazards, cars, people...

So my question is where do the people in the motorhome sit while the rig is driving? Sitting on a couch can be uncomfortable since you may not be able to see out the windows and sitting sideways in a moving truck may be an uncomfortable position, motion sickness...

Has anyone seen conversions where the cockpit of the truck is filled with maybe an additional row of seats behind the drivers seat, (I'm thinking big bench type seat with foldup armrests and fold up center section so people can pass through the cockpit to the cabin area) so the cockpit area is the preferred place to be for the best seating and view when driving and then how does that affect the living space of the motorhome? Does it reduce it and make it unusable or does it make it better because now more people can sit and watch the road while driving in the cockpit?

Then when the rig has stopped, this 2nd row bench seat turns can be turned around to face the interior of the motorhome?

I'm trying to get an idea of how the best placement of seats are so guests can enjoy the driving view and then these seats become part of the motorhome cabin area.

Does anyone have any pictures of such arrangements or any comments on this idea?

Thanks.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 06:05 PM   #2

Who are #'s 3,4,5,6? Are we talking kids or adults? If we are talking kids, don't even think about putting them in the cab with you. #1 they are not gong to want to be in the cab, they will want to be in back watching TV, eating, using the bathroom and just messing everything up. #2 They are noisy distracting, sometimes annoying, and after about 8 to 10 hours in the seat you will have a bad headache. #3 They don't even care what is going on outside the RV, they just want to be entertained.

Anyway that has been my experience with this subject with kids.

As for adults, good luck, I would say you better come up with some very comfortable seating, or they maybe worse than the kids.

Bill

Old 10-06-2004, 07:44 PM   #3

Where does passengers #3,4,5,6 sit while driving?

Kids fool around and are all over everthing. Got that part straight.

If they were adults, would they be seated in the diner booth seating, couch seating...?

Can you see out the windows while seated on the couch or do you sit too low and unable to see the ground while driving?

How about seated at the diner while driving? Do you miss being able to see forward rather than being able to see to the side only?

I find this type of side viewing uncomfortable as though I want to see what's ahead.

Has anyone rigged a safety bar or net which would span the side door either at the top or bottom of the stairs on the motorhome to prevent an accidental passenger falling out the door while moving?

I'm just trying to figure out where all the passengers sit if you were to take 3 or more people with you?

Thanks
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:21 PM   #4

....this is a real great issue for a family that uses a Motorhome.....I'd like to read more from people with more experience than myself dealing with the kid issue and also keeping adults comfortable.....how about the seat belt issue?...'specially with kids?.....geof
Old 10-07-2004, 04:43 AM   #5

..... Look at the picture of the volvo Show Hauler built, the fully painted one on their web page, it has seats in the sleeper area.
nick
teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 05:22 AM   #6

I have 3 sets of seat belts on the couch and 2 sets on the dinette. At the dinette you can see out no problem. My kids are belted in at all times that the motorhome is moving except quick trips to the restroom or to grab a drink.

I get car sick so I have to be driving or looking out the front windshield. So even seats in the sleeper would not help much for me because you cannot see around the big captains chairs in front of you.

Hey Nick welcome to the site! I have seen that one as well as others and it doesn't look to comfy if you have people across from you. (Not much leg room)

My original plan was to have captains chairs in the sleeper, and did set them up, but removed everything when it was determined that my single axle chassis would be way to long. Having had a few years experience with the rig I am very glad I nixed the idea, you loose way to much living space with these sleeper seating arrangements.

Bill
Old 10-07-2004, 07:44 AM   #7

I have an International with a sleeper and have put two bench seats facing each other back there. The bench seat backs are removable and fit in the middle of the bottom part of the seat to form a bed.

I have two kids (10 and 12) and with a game boy for each, they never even notice they are in a truck. After they get done playing they fall asleep. The wife sits back there too along with the dog. Everyone is very comfortable. The only windows are those at the top of the sleeper. Maybe that is why they don't get motion sickness (I think part of it is visual). I could fit 6 good size adults back there if needed. With the front seats, that would be a total of 8 people.

I plan on converting to a motorhome this winter and will leave the sleeper in place since it also serves as a bed. I plan on having a pocket door to close off the cab/sleeper from the motorhome since I usually have a few people with me.

Mike
Oakland Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 11:01 AM   #8

We're currently DP owners and the question you raise about additional seating is a good one. The current rig we've got has facing sofa's on both sides of the motorhome. Viewing is through the side windows and front windshield.

From time to time, as we talk truck conversions, I ask my kids whether they would like sitting in the box of the conversion and not being able to see out the front windshield. The answer from them is usually "who cares" as long as we can see the TV. I've been able to sit in Bill's rig a couple times, and there are advantages to having the isolation of the driver in front...kids in back.

I think I'd stick with the side facing seating to avoid loosing space, and possibly use larger windows in the sides of the conversion to "open up" the space.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:50 PM   #9

.....one of my traveling "Companions" has 4 kids that she has to drag along on our trips....I just am wondering how you handle restlessness[other than drugging them-snicker snicker ;&gt]....and any sugggestions on seating arangements?...travel activities...how many times do you have to stop and let them work off steam....geof
Old 10-11-2004, 06:10 AM   #10

I am picking up my 2005 Kingsley this Wed. We have 6 forward facing captain chairs in the cab. I have a scan of my floor plan but do not have a pic hosting site. The 4 additional chairs all have the integrated shoulder belts in them since our kids all need to be in boosters or car seats for a while still. Each of the chairs are mopunted to a 1/4" steel plate and then bolted thru the floor into a 1" thick steel plate that was welded to the frame rails. Seat manufacturer said to make sure that the mounting surface could withstand 3000# of forward sheer force.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:31 AM   #11

Elburn Bill -

Put it in the truckconversion photo gallery.

Bill
Old 10-11-2004, 10:39 AM   #12

Do I have to have a seperate username for the photo gallery? I just uploaded a pic but it was posted like a regular topic. Under "photos" I do not see a link to upload into any of the categories.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:00 PM   #13

Elburn Bill, I'd love to check out your coach, any chance to see it- we are almost neighbors from Huntley (Harmony)
Bob Dill (847)812-2972
www.westsidemotorcoach.com
rjdhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 04:30 AM   #14

Bob,

It is getting delivered this morning. We have to get the systems check done and then we have to get it loaded up since I have an alpaca show to go to this weekend. I will then be out of town for until 2nd week of Nov. After that it will be at my house for a while so you could come over then.