I know it has been a long, long time since I have updated my build. Several factors called life slowed my build schedule. My wife had major surgery on her foot, I remodeled a kitchen, went to the OBX for a week, etc.
The following pics will highlight some of the current progress. We have completed the framing for the basement. It is constructed out of 1.25 x 1.25" angle that is 3/16" thick. The hitch has been set to the proper height, reinforced, and welded.
The cutout for the side entrance door has been insulated and covered then trimmed in stainless. The wheelchair lift has been permently mounted and reinforced with 2 x 3" rectangular tubing with 3/16" wall.
I removed the driver's seat and installed the electronic tie-down system (EZ-LOCK). I then mounted casters on the base of the original driver's seat and made a tie-down pin from a 3/4" x 4.5" grade 5 bolt. Now, both the wheelchair and driver's seat lockdown electronically.
I then extended the steering column up and back a total of 5 inches. Then, I modified the steering wheel to make the radius for the hand control smaller so that my son can make a complete revolution more easily. I installed the hand controls that operated the throttle and brake. With some modifications of course.