Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #1

I have been watching this site for some time learning today’s methods of construction from all of the experts here.
I was planning on building my own Toterhome.
I am now being told by a couple of RV insurance companies they won’t insure it if I build it.
However if I have it professionally built they will insure it.
How are you home builders getting them insured?
Before you ask Geofkaye yes I have the ability and the tools or access to the tools required. I was in the motor home manufacturing industry in the early 70’s before the first gas shortage.
Any help would be appreciated.

RaceItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #2

Wow, that's pretty amazing that they said they won't insure it. I'd find a different insurance company. There's got to be one that will cover it. Maybe you need to have it inspected or something? What if you were to get RVIA certification? I don't know what that entails but maybe it's not that hard to get?

Old 07-28-2009, 01:36 PM   #3

....dump your insurance company asap....National Interstate will do you insurance needs it is an 800 number that I can't remember just now....they are in Ohio and usually require a agent to write the policy...they will recommend an agent over the phone to you to do the paperwork......geofkaye [glad you have all the tools-now I know who to borrow them from! ;&gt......
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #4

Geofkaye
I’m out here in Arizona when you need to borrow something.
I called Interstates 800 number and talked with one of their reps he said no.
He stated it had to be built by a RV conversion shop or manufacture. He said he would talk with his supervisor and get back with me but didn’t think they would do it.
I thought the State of Arizona was going to be my stumbling block not insurance.
Arizona doesn’t have a problem reclassifying it as a Motorhome as long as I follow their rules. I have already talked with Arizona’s inspector and we’re on the same page, except I have to change my hitch to a gooseneck anything bigger than a one ton pickup with a fifth wheel attachment is a truck tractor. However I don’t think I can get my project insured as a Motorhome only as a commercial truck.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #5

State Farm insured mine as a commercial truck and then after conversion and retitling to motorhome, they insured it as an RV. I'm surprised your having so much trouble.

Doc Weaver
Old 07-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #6

Doc Weaver
I also was surprised. Progressive and National Interstate have both said the same thing it can’t be home built.
I guess the frustrating thing is we have a 2008 fifth wheel trailer from a major company that came to us brand new with over 30 code violations and they have no problem insuring it. Yes I’ve fixed the code violations.
I guess my only two choices are to leave it commercial any pay the much higher license and insurance or stay with our pickup.
The reason for our fl60 was safety.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:07 AM   #7

Mine is home built ( see my thread new hauler)I have State Farm , I went to my agent told them I had a 98' Kenworth Motorcoach (that is what my title says after the state changed the title) they asked a new value and what the value is now I just made up some figures, I pay $515.00 per year .I think the key is don't give them any info unless they ask. hope this helps
frodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by frodaddy:
Mine is home built ( see my thread new hauler)I have State Farm , I went to my agent told them I had a 98' Kenworth Motorcoach (that is what my title says after the state changed the title) they asked a new value and what the value is now I just made up some figures, I pay $515.00 per year .I think the key is don't give them any info unless they ask. hope this helps
That may be the trick. I had my title changed as well. If the state will give you a motor home title, then that is all the insurance company needs to know.

Doc Weaver
Old 07-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for the help.
The inspector I talked with doesn’t have a problem re-titling it as a motorhome providing I follow their requirements and don’t have a fifth wheel hitch attachment.
I guess it’s time to roll the dice and proceed with the project. How about some construction pictures from those that built their own units. I’ll try not to steal all your good ideas.
Thanks again for all the help.