Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoo valley View Post
Wow, that's looking super tight! I've done this sort of work a million times, and I can appreciate your involvement. It'll be well worth it in the long run. Will you be living in there, or just RV'ing it?
Thanks, I’m actually living it in now after I gave the insulation a week to off gas as anything that didn’t cure can. Which spraying it at 90 degrees I’m pretty sure it did. It’s our home and we are RVing in it, just parked on my property living off grid while working on it.

Weldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:49 AM   #22

Awesome! I kind of figured you must be further along than the images here beared out. I'm going to be spending a lot of time in mine as well (besides the hours laboring away on it!) despite owning the home I grew up in (52 years).

hoodoo valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Awesome! I kind of figured you must be further along than the images here beared out. I'm going to be spending a lot of time in mine as well (besides the hours laboring away on it!) despite owning the home I grew up in (52 years).
If you built it, might as well get much as you can use out of it. I get busy and I wait till I get progress done in a whole step then post the pictures and by time they get posted due to off grid takes a bit I'm already onto next step.

Being retired nothing else to do and can't go anywhere till this place is done so here I am. Come next couple days I need to take this camper off and get ready for CDL driving test already passed written part, I don't need it, but I like to use my semi/truck for other purposes than haul a camper around when I need something moved or get supplies.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:38 PM   #24

Right on! I'm semi retired / work for myself. My wife is disabled and so I do in home care and work locally where I can get home in a bit if need be. So for me, the truck is a "Work into the night / early morning hours" type of deal. Just need to be sure I get it done before the cold hits. Shouldn't be an issue.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:04 PM   #25

After insulating it now is time to put the bed area in to where it goes from front to back, not side to side where you have to crawl over each other getting out of bed.
Attached Thumbnails
KIMG0564.jpg   KIMG0566.jpg   KIMG0575.jpg   KIMG0574.jpg  
Old 07-12-2019, 11:08 PM   #26

I must put in 10 characters so here they are to post these pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
KIMG0577.jpg   KIMG0578.jpg   KIMG0582.jpg   KIMG0583.jpg  
Old 07-12-2019, 11:13 PM   #27

To compliment the new bed pedestal/frame or whatever you want to call it need some storage to maximize use of space not used. Plus needed a board to prevent the mattress from sliding off while going down the road. There wasn't one before and few times stopping for fuel it was on the floor among other things.
Attached Thumbnails
KIMG0587.jpg   KIMG0603.jpg   KIMG0614.jpg   KIMG0619.jpg  
Old 07-13-2019, 04:22 AM   #28

Looks like things are coming along nicely. I'm kind of anxious to see how you treat those interior curves. I used to own a 1968 airstream and it was interesting the way they addressed the interiors.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:37 AM   #29

Quote:
Looks like things are coming along nicely. I'm kind of anxious to see how you treat those interior curves. I used to own a 1968 airstream and it was interesting the way they addressed the interiors.
I’m cringing looking at them and don’t want to think about them curves yet though will overcome them in the end. That is a idea, look at the Airstreams and go from there on creativity. Right now building kitchen cabinets and countertops, I put a little customization that will be noticed for decades to come that this isn’t generic cabinets.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:51 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldman View Post
I’m cringing looking at them and don’t want to think about them curves yet though will overcome them in the end. That is a idea, look at the Airstreams and go from there on creativity. Right now building kitchen cabinets and countertops, I put a little customization that will be noticed for decades to come that this isn’t generic cabinets.
Lucky dog! I sure can't wait to start in on my cabinets. I've built so many cabinets for other people, and for the first time, this Winter, I'll be doing it for me!

On my airstream, the entire inside was aluminum except the ends, which were fiberglass. Might be a long shot, but you might consider using some sort of thermal set plastic and a heat gun with a radius form, for the inside corners. I've dabbled in that a bit. It'll be fun, whatever you do!

I noticed we have emoticons now!
Old 07-13-2019, 01:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Lucky dog! I sure can't wait to start in on my cabinets. I've built so many cabinets for other people, and for the first time, this Winter, I'll be doing it for me!

On my airstream, the entire inside was aluminum except the ends, which were fiberglass. Might be a long shot, but you might consider using some sort of thermal set plastic and a heat gun with a radius form, for the inside corners. I've dabbled in that a bit. It'll be fun, whatever you do!

I noticed we have emoticons now!
Actually it was fiberglass that followed the contours and I’m trying to stay away from plastic, I want something that will absorb sound and is forgiving to vibrations on the road. Noticed with fiberglass it ripped the holes cause it was too stiff and popped rivets thus ended up with sagging ceiling, plus I could smell the fiberglass when it started getting warm. I can smell very well from having reactive airway disease from war so if it’s in this camper it’s going to have to pass stringent air quality test, hence the PL construction adhesive is certified by Greenhouse to be safe along with other products I use. Thought about 1/8 inch wood paneling or use a tongue and groove thin board to follow it up.
Or I could play with wood tambour
https://www.tapeease.com//solid.htm
Old 07-14-2019, 07:18 PM   #32

Might even consider forming something out of natural fiber such as felt that could be glued to the foam or get a chunk of lead and some sheet copper and hammer out some pieces for those inside corners.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Might even consider forming something out of natural fiber such as felt that could be glued to the foam or get a chunk of lead and some sheet copper and hammer out some pieces for those inside corners.
Trying to keep metal out of here though natural fiber as felt would be nice. Going with redwood lumber for the countertops unless other reasons I shouldn’t if not then it’s a butcher block countertop. Going with undermount drawer sliders and to prevent cabinets from coming open I scored some touch latches made by Tutch Latch from the 50’s or 60’s with Cadmium coating not zinc, Also to prevent drawers from opening inlay piece of metal on cabinet face and neodymium N50 magnets on drawer face inlayed.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:52 AM   #34

Weldman, you could even build small in place speaker boxes that would allow you to take those inside corners and make them squared off.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:30 AM   #35

Quote:
Weldman, you could even build small in place speaker boxes that would allow you to take those inside corners and make them squared off.
That’s how the cabinets above the kitchen was done. I also notice playing with piece of AC 1/4” plywood it contours them too with little strength.
If I can get 1 x 2’s to bend to them with some kerfing I’m going to get something made of wood up there.
Last few nights of rain and hail storms makes one realize, I need something to absorb the sound.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:33 AM   #36

Time for commercial break from our regular scheduled program. Besides just building my own truck conversion it also includes converting the truck too so...
When I tossed the transmission on this truck in the beginning it was cable driven speedometer on it and parking brake on the tail shaft, and when I put new one on none of it would swap over. New transmission FS6206A is electronic speedometer sensor and no parking brake and I wasn't going to rip truck wiring out just to fit electronic speedometer in and had no choice on parking brake since I have no air brakes. So spent a whole day installing this instead. In the middle of installing line lock brake the proportioning brake valve crumbled and had to replace it.
Now I can lock all 4 disc brakes and adjust my back brakes as needed.
Attached Thumbnails
KIMG0608.jpg   KIMG0625.jpg   KIMG0626.jpg   KIMG0627.jpg  
Old 07-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #37

As for the speedometer problem I bought one with GPS antennae to tell me how fast I am going and will eventually rip out all the gauges and customize a gauge pod for it though in time crunch so I got this one for now. Has odometer, trip odometer, time/date, GPS coordinates, heading info, compass,engine hours and peak speed recall. Took me half day to do it, easy peasy...
Attached Thumbnails
KIMG0628.jpg   KIMG0629.jpg   KIMG0630.jpg   KIMG0633.jpg  
Old 07-20-2019, 02:39 PM   #38

Nicely done WM! Eventually I'll be getting to my electricals.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:28 AM   #39

Quote:
Nicely done WM! Eventually I'll be getting to my electricals.
Thanks, this is a temp fix till later on when I replace all the gauges and put in a different pod to hold them all that I will have to fabricate.
Not going to be much building or of anything really for next week or two, I'm headed back to Washington state to grab rest of my tools and my girlfriends stuff to get out here, though will be taking my time and taking a vacation on the way back. Take a slow drive hit Lewis and Clark National Forest then meander to Glacier National Park before a weekend to grab a spot and hike few trails.

Speaking of electricals, had to replace the motor on gear splitter while back and have yet to test it in real world scenarios, I can't wait. Wasn't bad crawling up few mountain ranges, but would of helped with less load on the engine.

Not going to post my life online but it has been hell past 8 months and we need this here.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:43 AM   #40

Right on! Glad you got things where you can at least "run with it" and see how things go. I sure enjoy driving my truck, though lately it's only been around the yard the past two years! Should be road worthy next summer I sure hope.