Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-04-2016, 10:59 PM   #1

Default Auxiliary transmissions

Hi I'm new to this site, and in the early stages of trying my luck on building a toter. My question is has anyone had experience with a auxiliary transmission. I have a international 4700 with dt466 that is geared to 65mph on the wood. My idea is to put the brownie box in it to get the overdrive to use in flat country and still have the direct for the mountains. Just an idea to have something a little unique.

Wildman304steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:31 PM   #2

I had a Gear Vendors overdrive on my Corvette. It dropped my rpm's about 500. I think they build them for mdt's (medium duty trucks like a 4700). You could check with them. Gear Vendors under/overdrive transmissions the most awarded auxiliary transmissions. I think it will cost you about $2500. Might want to see how much to put different gears, or different rear end, in. Can you put larger tires/wheels on? That would lower your rpm's too, wouldn't it? What trans is in it now? Maybe there are other transmissions that might have different gear ratios that might work better? Weren't most of those 4700's built for delivery around town so not geared for highway cruising? They might have had other transmissions that weren't as popular but would work better?

Welcome to TruckConversion.net!

Old 05-07-2016, 10:29 PM   #3

Default Auxiliary transmissions

As far as building a class 8 truck goes, I had a single axle with the 855 cummins 9 speed and I really thought about stretching it and using it. But it was harder to get in and out of and the cab did not have any room. So anyway I decided to go mdt for better or worse and I don't know if it will satisfy me or not but I do like to drive it and with the crew cab it has tons of room. The biggest disappointment so far is that you can't get a dealer to program any more hp and it has the big allison 5 speed that will or should handle anything that I'm going to put on it and from what I understand it actually has a sixth gear that a dealer can turn on that would make the gearing but the dealers that I've talked to will not vary from factory specs. As far as the breaking capacity this truck should more than have that covered but a Jake would be nice but I'll settle for a exhaust brake.
Wildman304steven is offline   Reply With Quote