Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-31-2005, 03:19 PM   #1

I finally found a few free minutes to put some of the mod's I have done to the new Show Hauler in here.

One of the things that I do not like about my Show Hauler is the inability to access the storage under the back bed. In my last rig I used 2 gas struts which worked o.k., but the latching mechanism was not the best.

So for this one I wanted to use a Linear Actuator to do the lifting. Show Hauler uses 2 pieces of plywood for the support for the mattress. I used a steel strip to attach the 2 pieces together and added a support underneath where I was going to mount the actuator. I also added 3 big hinges at the head of the bed. The bed with the plywood is heavy so I went with a 250 lb actuator I purchased through Grainger --> http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender....d=1613179433&ccitem=

I would say 250 lbs is just right, I would not go with anything smaller.

I like this unit because it has the adjustable limit switches so it will shut off automatically when it closes or is raised.

Get your self a rocker switch and 2 clevis mounts and your set.

Old 12-31-2005, 04:25 PM   #2

Bill-
Not to be an alarmist or anything, but it looks to me that the steel strip is bowing under the weight. You MIGHT want to use something a bit more stout, like a piece of channel. It doesn't have to look good, but it should be strong :-)
Have a good one!
Gary

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:25 PM   #3

Actually it looks worse in that photo than it is. To use a piece of channel I need to redo the bed frame to fit the channel. Not a big priority, maybe if I have some spare time someday.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:31 PM   #4

Neat mod. I wish I had under bed storage, just 200 gallons of water under there...
Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 03:32 PM   #5

Quote:
I need to redo the bed frame to fit the channel.
Now that I looked at it again, I see what you mean. The way it is, you HAD to use something thin. Could that frame piece that's in the way be notched to clear a heavier brace? Just thinkin' out loud here.....
Gary

PS The actuator w/ limit switches is a GREAT idea; ought to save big time on chiropractor bills! Speaking of bills, have a good one, Bill!
Old 01-01-2006, 05:49 PM   #6

gary, mase, i'd p'bly use an 1.25 piece of al. angle, picked up at the hardware store. doesn't need to be really STRONG, just have some resistance to deflection. listen to that enginrng stuf. LOL.---- mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:10 PM   #7

Heck Mase, you're probably more of an engineer than you or any of us could imagine! That angle Al. would be good, not only light, but Bill would only have to make a narrow cut to clear the thickness of the flange sticking down.
OK Bill, Mase and I are on a roll now; any other problems for us to solve? We are THAT good!
Gary
Old 01-02-2006, 05:42 PM   #8

You guys had me all worried. I went out to the rig today and checked the bed again. The photo really is an illusion, the deflection is next to nothing. Not even worth messing with.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:46 PM   #9

OOOHHHH!! Well, that's different. Nevermind!
Gary
Old 04-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #10

I know this is an old post but I just noticed it. I clicked the link to that actuator and it shows the part. It looks like the travel is rated at 4". That's not very long travel. Is it a mis-print? Looks longer in your picture. 4" isn't long enough to do anything. Is it 40"?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #11

Looks like a mis-print to me,...BTW if you're looking for an actuator,...there are usually a good variety on ebay
Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #12

ya, good idea. I don't know if I need one yet. I'm going to pick up my new United Specialties rig on Monday. I know the 200 gallon tanks are under the bed. I didn't lift the bed up to look at the tanks when we went to look at it and buy it. Just thinking if there is any room under there to stow anything it might be cool to have it lift up electrically like that.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #13

.....Bob 86ZZ4: for God's sake and of course yours....don't buy anything with a inverter under the bed.....DANGER DANGER DANGER....they are known to over heat smoke and catch fire with some regularity....DANGER DANGER DANGER....never except any electrical device under any bedding NO MATTER WHAT!....geofkaye...I'd miss you all!
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:48 AM   #14

Oh no, that first picture looks like there is an inverter under the bed. That's not my coach. I think my inverter is in a underneath storage bin by the house batteries. I'll know more when I pick up on Monday. I don't even know if mine has an inverter.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #15

Not much room in there once the tanks are there. Only the front panel by the head opens for access. You could probably rig it. The fuse box was in the end of the bed too on ours. Inverter is below bedroom in battery cabinet in drivers rear side, wall mount.

Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote