Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 08-31-2009, 07:44 PM   #1

I recall a comment in an earlier thread (that I cannot seem to locate) about underlift towing. GeofKaye, maybe?

Anywho, I like the convenience of flat-towing our Honda (four wheels down) but not being able to back up is limiting. As an alternative, I'm wondering about rigging up an underlift system like I see on some tow trucks. (Is this system also called a 'stinger lift'?)

Two initial questions:
1. It seems like this type of towing setup would allow backing up just like any two-wheel trailer. Correct?

2. What is the ideal separation between the tow vehicle and towed vehicle? It seems like 1/2 the width of the towed vehicle plus a few inches for a safety margin would be sufficient.

I have the engineering background to design the lifting members but want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:57 PM   #2

That my friend is a really cool out of the box idea, I love it!!

1- a vertical post built into the wall,
2- a manual slide out beam on a pivot
3- hook a winch to the post to lift the front of the car.
4-once lifted, insert a second pin 1" diameter or bigger, release and store the winch and down the road ya go! sweet!!
blizz

Old 09-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #3

4 UP OR DOWN-STINGER OR NO STINGER-TRAILER OR NO TRAILER.....UNLESS YOU ARE REALLY GOOD-YOU CAN'T BACK IT UP! THE PROBLEM THAT EVERYONE RUNS INTO IS IT DISAPPERS BEHIND THE BOX BECAUSE THE BOX IS 102" WIDE AND THE CAR ISN'T.....MH WITH TRAILERS CAN BE BACKED UP WITH A SPOTTER AND LUCK -BUT IT IS TRICKY AND ONE NEEDS TO PRACTICE WITH A SPOTTER AND A LOT OF PATIENCE....[OR VALIUM DEPENDING ON THE SPOTTER AND YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH HER AS THE CASE MIGHT BE......geofkay
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #4

Blizz and Geof - thanks for the replies!

So, to confirm... a car on a stinger lift *can* be backed up (with the proper precautions), correct?

Any recommendations on the optimum distance between the motorhome and the car?
Old 09-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #5

....must be adjustable [I just measured my wrecker stinger] retracted is 23" inches and extended is 102" I have a bed made here in Ohio in Hubbard it is on a Chev 6500 with a 20' bed and of course a stinger on the back end.....will tow 15,000 pounds at "expressway speeds" company is called ...KILAR is is a 330 area code and the guys name is TOM if you need any answers....you need to keep it adjustable for turning/backing in tight places as it needs to go a full 90 + degree angle backing....tag trailers must have the same backing radius so I have an extending hitch shaft for the 2 5/8 ball hitch which I have used instead of banging the trailer into the corner of the tractor... again[oops again and then again!].....geofkaye
Old 09-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #6

....location of objects will give you a clear idea of how far to extend the stinger.....tight turns backing need a longer extension/driving straight needs to be shortened up.....sure makes it easy when you can see the whole area [with a spotter] and good lites on the tractor's back/top and sides....I have two 55 watt floods-one each side/and another two high up on the tractor just in front of the drivers and passengers door-makes backing in dark areas better at nite and in the rain/snow......even with only using the mirrors in the rain......[cuz I can't get the girlz to get out in the rain without a "b-atch" session about hair and wet feet...] geofkaye
Old 09-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #7

I had my "spotter" guide me to a near divorce last year at Pocono for a Goodguy's Car show...
Patience is way more than a virtue.
Not that this has anything to do with a Stinger just getting STUNG !!!
Burt Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #8

....completely understandable Burt....I have 4 show girlz that are good looking but couldn't drive a bumper car at Disney World to save their lives....I have another girl that I'm training now to drive the Volvo/Wrecker/Pick UP and the GOLF TDI.....I told her I would only choke her out if she wrecked anything that I really liked or needed.....[little does she know. . . . .] geofkaye