Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #1

I love to get my hands on a truck conversion that was cosmetically damaged but structurally sound if anyone ever hears of such.

Any opinions on this Newell bus with a salvaged title for $335k on ebay?
Considering it is used, has 23,000 miles on it and now has some moderate damages on the passenger side, how much do you think it's worth or how does the buyer acquire such an item? Anyone here ever buy and sell salvaged title vehicles? It looks like the seller is in the salvage vehicle/parts business by the other items he is listing on ebay.

What does the ACV $980,000 mean in the ad?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Vehicles-Trailers_...ksid=p3756.m14.l1318

Text from the ad:

2007 Newell Coach.

Right side lay over
Runs and lot drives
4 slides
600 HP CAT engine
Rear steer
Endless options
ACV $980,000

Sold new for $1.3 million
Please e-mail or call Scott at (618) 344-9922 with any questions!

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #2

ACV: Actual Cash Value

Seems like a lot for a roll over. Good project vehicle for a 40 something with time on his hands as he'll have it ready for retirement at 65. A salvage title follows a vehicle wherever it goes. It is an exclamation point if you try to resell it. I'd like to see who buys this thing for that much $$$$.

TransportDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:09 PM   #3

I wouldn't touch something like this with a 40 foot wrench! I've rebuilt cars & trucks over the years & been bit several times.
There is always hidden damage and other (small?) stuff that sneaks up on you.
A Newell or anything else as large & complicated has the potential to bite you in the ass big time!!
Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #4

.....the coach is made up of panels and they have to be replaced along with the metal supports/struts/rivets etc....might also be knocked off undercarriage and have to be jacked into alignment before resetting panels....requires a large frame rack and careful measurement.........forgetaboutit!...geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:04 PM   #5

What if the driver told you it rolled softly on it's side or sideswiped, the motor shut off immediately, then carefully righted so there was minimum structural damage. Most of the damages were exterior siding and doors smashed?

As a new owner, get your worm drive saw and a makita screw gun or welding rig, scab on some aluminum or wood panels where needed and forget the way it looks on the outside? A conversion that you don't care about it's physical appearance because you got such a good deal price wise. Like a Burning Man rig? Never have to wash it, don't worry if you bump into something...?

I'd like to find a truck conversion like this if you hear of such.
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:29 AM   #6

"Rolled it softly" hmmm - like driving it slowly up the side of mountain? Still - from the look of the interior - there has to be structural damage. Although - for the price... you might buy it, fix it up with plywood, put a wooden rocker on the roof and get a cameo on the next Beverly Hillbillies movie. Still, I'd like to see who buys it and how much it eventually costs to fix it up correctly.
TransportDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:55 AM   #7

I like the pictures of the cracked mirror click here.

I would tape them up and then leave them as they are.

If a woman came inside, I could say, "This is a very expensive and delicate RV. Please be very careful what you touch or look at." Then I would leave for a while and then return and say "Hey, what's going on here. Did you look in my mirrors and crack them? Before you arrived, the mirrors were fine. Now they're cracked. What's going on here?"

There is such a thing as a soft roll, as compared to a crash bang smash up roll. If it rolled to the uphill side of a mountain or something. Rather than the downhill side. A sprint car driver could probably tell you a lot about hard and soft rolls.

I've always wanted a very expensive car that was so damaged on the outside, it was not worth repairing so it was sold as salvage or cheap, but stucturally sound. I would never have to worry about somebody hitting me or vandalism...