Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-26-2021, 10:39 AM   #1

Default rear overhang

Hi everyone, I'm building a 36' long coach on a freightliner chassis and would like a reference or rule of thumb for rear overhang. I'm aware that shorter wheelbase will turn sharper, but the tail will swing wide. Longer wheel base should ride better, but won't turn as sharp and can negatively effect weight distribution. Looking for recommendations and real world experience.
Thank you.

cagebob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:48 AM   #2

Im building roughly the same thing on a Volvo chassy and the general numbers i have measured on most motorhomes is no more than 10 feet. Personally i think 10 feet is to much in my opinion (on a 36' total length build) so on ours i have approx 6 feet of overhang.

There may also be state or provincial rules that you may have to contend with as well, some will indicate max overhang of a recreational vehicle so take a few minutes to verify the DOT/MOT website.

6cuda6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:48 PM   #3

HI Well it has been 20 years ago.... when I did my build o 89 Volvo 610. As I remember..... 35 ft total length .... #3 axel tractor == now wheel base 248 inch ( front axel spinal to middle of the two rear axels) , over hang is ( from center of rear axel hub to the rear of body) 9 ft. The last two feet of the body on the bottoms tapered up, 6 inches . You need to figure balance, with some weight behind the rear axel. Like, location of gen set, water storage, propane storage, house batterie ect. Getting around on the roads with a 26 ft. trailer behind the TC, is no problem. I have several years of high, wide, heavy transport driving in 13 western states. I'm only 12 FT overall Hight, low clearance makes easier to get around. But everyone's needs are different, and every build is a challenge. A lot ot consider , bet worth it. Good luck Roadside
Roadside is offline   Reply With Quote