Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Default Newbie has a question!

Hi all. I'm looking at getting a semi truck to pull a 5th wheel toy hauler I plan to buy soon. But before any of this happens I hav a few whestions.
In mass can I even convert a semi to a rv? If so sbat are the regulations for the driver?
Can I just use a single axle sleeper tuck and just get the tile changed or is there other stuff I have to do? What do I have to do to pull a 5th wheel? Anything else I need to knkw thank!
Sorry I'm typing this on my iphone
I should also ask can I use a class 7 truck with my regular class d liscense as this ur for personal use only?

Ilkediesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
Senior Member
Bob86ZZ4's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,819

That's a huge question. There is a ton of info over on the Escapee's forum. They have a special section for HDT's (Heavy Duty Truck) here: HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum

You should read closely the resource guide and the faq thread. Lots of people are doing what you want to do. Also consider attending the HDT Rally: HDT Rally I've been there 4 times and have a great time.

'03 Freightliner FL112, 295" wheel base, with '03 United Specialties 26' living quarters, single screw, Cat C12 430 h/p 1650 torque, Eaton 10speed , 3.42 rear axle ratio
Bob86ZZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:08 AM   #3
Senior Member
bushpilot's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tomball
Posts: 1,414

quick answers - you can drive a class 7 or 8 w/out a CDL (assuming its property titled, non commercial or as an RV).

its likely your regular drivers license will need some additional endorsements. for example - in texas if it has air brakes you're supposed to have a Class B (for Air Brakes) endorsement.

I believe to convert title to an RV most states require the vehicle to have a potty (cassette is what most use), a fridge or hot plate & a bed - don't quote me on that (the guys over at Escapees forum will have the precise details).
Don R.
'04 Haulmark (M42386) 42', 2 slide, 10kw - Pictures
'04 F350 CrewCab Longbed 4x4, 50g aux tank & gear vendors dbl over
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.