Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 06-10-2004, 10:30 AM   #1

How hot do your wheel get? Recently I noticed that my Alcoa wheels after a trip get very, very hot. Hot enough that I cannot keep my had on it for more that a few seconds.

After I had some work done by the local FL dealer (king pin's replaced) we ran down to a campground a few hours away and came home and I noticed one of my lug nut covers coming loose. I had been parked for about 15 minutes and notice the wheel was hot! I checked both front wheels and they where equally hot. One of my oil hubs was leaking slightly so I replaced them both. Did another run this weekend and again they where hot, we jacked the wheels and I did not have a brake dragging. Spun the wheel and it rotated about 2 1/2 times on a hard spin of the wheel.

Just not sure if the heat is from the brakes being used and dissipating to the wheels or the bearing nuts being to tight. I can't imagine the Fl dealer would over tighten both nuts.

I just don't remember ever checking the wheels before after a trip so I don't have anything to compare this to. I have felt the tires before and they seem to feel the same (warm to the touch after a run)

Bill

Old 06-10-2004, 08:39 PM   #2

My tires get hot to the touch when I run loaded on my roll-off but I have steel rims on all vehicles...so I can' really compare with your experience...I would call Freightliner for an opinion though....warm they are-but not Hot so I can't hold my hand on them....geof

KAYERIVERCITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 12:38 PM   #3

Bill;
You may want to check the front slack adjusters, typically one may adjust up to far, but not both.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:28 PM   #4

Check things out further today and here is what is happening.

The wheels act as a heat sink. So when traveling and short stops the wheels are cool to the touch. But stop for 10 - 15 minutes the heat from the front drum brakes (if alot of braking is done) disipates out onto the hub and wheel.

I guess I just never noticed it.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:43 AM   #5

Bill;
As you already knew, aluminun is one of the best heat conductors there is, you just needed another reminder, im glad you didn't have slack adjuster problems.