Thread: Hot Wheels!
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2004, 10:30 AM   #1
Warpath

How hot do your wheel get? Recently I noticed that my Alcoa wheels after a trip get very, very hot. Hot enough that I cannot keep my had on it for more that a few seconds.

After I had some work done by the local FL dealer (king pin's replaced) we ran down to a campground a few hours away and came home and I noticed one of my lug nut covers coming loose. I had been parked for about 15 minutes and notice the wheel was hot! I checked both front wheels and they where equally hot. One of my oil hubs was leaking slightly so I replaced them both. Did another run this weekend and again they where hot, we jacked the wheels and I did not have a brake dragging. Spun the wheel and it rotated about 2 1/2 times on a hard spin of the wheel.

Just not sure if the heat is from the brakes being used and dissipating to the wheels or the bearing nuts being to tight. I can't imagine the Fl dealer would over tighten both nuts.

I just don't remember ever checking the wheels before after a trip so I don't have anything to compare this to. I have felt the tires before and they seem to feel the same (warm to the touch after a run)

Bill