Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #1

Default Fed Ex Custom Critical truck as conversion candidate

I've noticed the Fed Ex Custom Critical HD straight trucks with large sleepers over the years. Saw another big one today. I did some research on the Fed Ex web site and discovered that the owner-operators who lease to Fed Ex Customer Critical cannot use a truck more than five years old.

Then I searched to find one for sale and couldn't find any. Where do these trucks go after five years?

Rather than build the motorhome conversion from the bare frame up, has anyone ever considered using a large box already on a large straight truck? What are the downsides of doing that?

Thanks!

Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #2

Very good question. I've seen them and they look like they might be a pretty good start for a t/c. I'd make sure to do a pass through from the sleeper into the box tho.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #3

Ideally I'd like to put a NASCAR-style lift gate on the back and put the race car in box with all the tires and tools!
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #4

I think those trucks are a great idea to base one on. I myself am builing a Ford F-700 using a 24 foot uhaul box. Although I am gonna use ramps for my Jeep Wrangler.
There are many people using the uhaul trucks for this. Of course the uhauls as are most MDTs are not geared great for open highways and/or decent MPGs.
There are many threads at Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading website in the world. look in the towing section. Also all the uhauls trucks I have seen for sale lately are gassers and max out at about 18K GVWR.
mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #5

The gas jobs are good candidates for conversion to CNG; cuts your fuel costs by 40% or more.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by #90-GTSC View Post
The gas jobs are good candidates for conversion to CNG; cuts your fuel costs by 40% or more.
Oh how I wish I could find a CNG conversion for my old Ford F-150 truck. (I have a gas well hooked to the house)
mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #7

I would have loved to start with a Custom Critical. The only ones I found were WAAAYYY too much money.