Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-24-2009, 10:12 AM   #1

This is the first rig I've owned with a slideout. It's got about a 7' one for the sofa. I bought the rig used off a lot so didn't get any owner's manuals regarding the slide unit. I contacted United Specialties and they sent me the original build/order forms but it doesn't have anything about the slide other than there is one. Underneath the sofa there is a electric motor on the left side when looking from the front of the sofa. If I slide it out and look up from outside the coach there are two large cutouts for the slide mechanism I can see. I can see some sort of attachment from the left side over to the right side. Looks like a shaft or something. Just wondering if there is any way to push/pull the unit by hand in case the motor/gears fail. It seems to work okay so far the few times I've operated it. Once when I was running it out it stopped and clicked funny so I ran it back in and then out and it worked. I don't know who made the slide unit. There is a square tube frame member running diagonally top/bottom on both ends (these can be seen from inside the coach when it's slid in and outside when the slide is out) if that helps identify it. I'll take a bunch of pictures next time I get to my storage place and post those to see if that helps. Thanks!

Old 05-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #2

I worked on my rig today but forgot to bring my camera. I found a sticker on the frame that says, "Glide Out Room United" and shows the manufacturer is Liftco, Inc., 24076 Ready Drive, Elkhart Lake, Ind. It looks like there is a metal plug on the side of the slide near the front edge. I found a metal crank type bar in the storage bin. Similar to what you might use to operate a scissor jack. It looks like if I pulled that plug out I could possibly insert that wrench and operate the screws manually. It looks like the two screws are linked together by a long shaft that runs between them. I'm wondering if there is some way to disconnect the electric motor from the gears tho. I didn't have time to get under the sofa and look at that motor closely to see if there is some sort of disconnect. Also wondering if there is any maintenance I should do to this? Do those long screws need lube? The slide seals against the side of the rig when slid in by a large black rubber or vinyl type of seal. Looks like maybe I should lube/clean that with something like silicone on a rag or Armor All?

I did send a e-mail to Liftco asking if they had any literature for me but thought maybe somebody here might have some insight for me. Thanks!