Join Truck Conversion Today
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2
Default Registering a Volvo as RV in California

Hello,
I am from Oregon am selling my Volvo mid roof Semi Truck with my 43ft Voltage Fifth Wheel RV. The truck has been modified with one rear axel removed, a custom truck bed, interior makeover with a dinette, top bunk bed, TV/DVD, captain chair seating for 8. I had no problem registering this vehicle as an RV in Oregon.
I am now stationed in Las Vegas and I am selling the Volvo with the Voltage (also open to sell separate) and I am getting a lot of interest from individuals in California. Their main concern is registering this Semi as an RV to avoid having to get a CDL...expensive registration and insurance.

So, I was hoping someone with experience or knowledge could help me out on what the process is to do so. I know Cali DMV are notorious for being difficult on this matter but I would just like to know if it can be done.
Any links or info you could supply would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you so much.


DavidJ
__________________

DavidJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bob86ZZ4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,814
Default

Welcome to the Truck Conversion forum! Sounds like a nice setup you have there. I would think if the tractor is already registered as an rv it shouldn't be too hard to transfer it to California as such. This forum is mostly Truck Conversion motorcoaches. Single units with the tractor and living quarters all in one. Have you checked on the Escapees HDT forum? Lots of great information there dedicated to what you've got. The FAQ and Resource Guide there is chock full of stuff. Hopefully you can find the answers there. HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum
__________________

__________________
'03 Freightliner FL112, 295" wheel base, with '03 United Specialties 26' living quarters, single screw, Cat C12 430 h/p 1650 torque, Eaton 10speed , 3.42 rear axle ratio
Bob86ZZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:05 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 527
Default

Welcome. Is it titled as an RV, or just registered as an RV? If you have it titled as an RV the dmv in any state shouldn't even question the title they will just issue a new title the same way. If you only have it registered as an RV and the title still says truck you may have to go through whatever state's process to retitle it as an RV before it can be registered that way. I know here in Ohio that is the procedure anyway.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:49 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pembroke Pines
Posts: 112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
Hello,
I am from Oregon am selling my Volvo mid roof Semi Truck with my 43ft Voltage Fifth Wheel RV. The truck has been modified with one rear axel removed, a custom truck bed, interior makeover with a dinette, top bunk bed, TV/DVD, captain chair seating for 8. I had no problem registering this vehicle as an RV in Oregon.
I am now stationed in Las Vegas and I am selling the Volvo with the Voltage (also open to sell separate) and I am getting a lot of interest from individuals in California. Their main concern is registering this Semi as an RV to avoid having to get a CDL...expensive registration and insurance.

So, I was hoping someone with experience or knowledge could help me out on what the process is to do so. I know Cali DMV are notorious for being difficult on this matter but I would just like to know if it can be done.
Any links or info you could supply would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you so much.


DavidJ
how much? details and pics of the rig? I am looking for a toter
bydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:23 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
Welcome to the Truck Conversion forum! Sounds like a nice setup you have there. I would think if the tractor is already registered as an rv it shouldn't be too hard to transfer it to California as such. This forum is mostly Truck Conversion motorcoaches. Single units with the tractor and living quarters all in one. Have you checked on the Escapees HDT forum? Lots of great information there dedicated to what you've got. The FAQ and Resource Guide there is chock full of stuff. Hopefully you can find the answers there. HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum
Hey Bob,
Thanks for the welcome. I apologize for posting in the incorrect sub-forum. I'll definitely check out the Escapees Forum. I hadn't seen it before. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rod View Post
Welcome. Is it titled as an RV, or just registered as an RV? If you have it titled as an RV the dmv in any state shouldn't even question the title they will just issue a new title the same way. If you only have it registered as an RV and the title still says truck you may have to go through whatever state's process to retitle it as an RV before it can be registered that way. I know here in Ohio that is the procedure anyway.
The truck is, in fact, titles as a Motorhome. But the VIN number still shows that its a truck obviously, so insurance and DMVs still have problems.
Thank you for your input. That sure would be nice if it was just an easy transfer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bydesign View Post
how much? details and pics of the rig? I am looking for a toter
I private messaged you but it wouldn't let me include links because my post count is so small.
Heres the ad on RV trader,
2013 Dutchmen Voltage , Las Vegas NV - - RVtrader.com

Heres my ad on Craigslist with a couple more pictures,
'13 Voltage Toyhauler & '10 Volvo Truck, Luxury RV Package, MUST SELL!

Thanks let me know if you are interested.

I appreciate all the info guys! Thank you

Dj
DavidJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.