Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 07-27-2019, 02:33 AM   #1

Default Black and gray water set up?

So, I'm contemplating the installation of my waste water holding tanks. I was thinking about installing them inside an insulated enclosure, that could be kept from freezing with a little bit of heat, but here's a screwy idea..... I was thinking about a portable set of tanks that slipped in the bed of my truck. The truck would be parked near the rv, and when needed, I could simply drive the pick up to the waste station, then back to the rv. Wouldn't have to run the rv to the station. Crazy idea, or hinging on genius?

I was also pondering installing a 10 to 15 gallon fresh water tank up at the ceiling so that I didn't need to have a pump for water distribution. Simply would rely on gravity. Bad idea?

hoodoo valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:50 AM   #2

Well, I'm still a ways away from that point, so I'll keep toying with these ideas.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:03 AM   #3

how long do you expect to stay in this thing?
We have 220g of fresh water and our holding tanks are 60 or 65 each.

Our fresh water tanks are under the bed - its very unlikely theyll ever freeze (as long as the coach is heated or kept warm/protected).

I like the overhead fresh water idea - until theres a problem.

our black tank is simple It is a direct/straight drop from the commode to the tank....no bends or plumbing to clog.

assuming theres electric you should be fine to put the tanks in an under mounted / insulated bin and add some heating pads (ala oil pan heaters)....the issue I alway worried about was any exposed plumbing that contained liquid....eventually some plumbing/dump line/valve is outside the insulated/heated area.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:26 PM   #4

Hey Bushpilot!

I actually intent to live in it eventually on shore power and sewer hook up. Otherwise, it's largely going to be setting in the yard, hooked up to power for heat and air conditioning, but not hooked up to water / sewer. I do however eventually want that capability to rough it, and on the subject of roughing it, I grew up hauling water and using an outhouse so conserving is in my bones, even though we've had the well we now have, since I was 14 years old. Huge on conservation of water and power, having not had electricity until I was 16 here at my house. Water under the beds is a good idea. I always worry, about heat tapes, and heating pads and anything that generates heat, as a fire danger, especially when it can't be inspected in small spaces..... Been through, and seen too many fires here in cold country to feel comfortable with it. One thought I had was doing the tanks underneath in a separate enclosure, then circulating air from the living space, but still on the fence. I still have a long way until I have to make a decision, so no worries yet, but I do ultimately need a solution.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:14 PM   #5

Hoodoo,

With you building this why not make it as nice and convent as possible, why deal with crap now or later, set it up and make it Great!
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:54 PM   #6

This is exactly what I was thinking. I still have a lot of time to ponder things. Main issue is to get it where I can keep heat inside the box so I can detail it out while I live in there if need be.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:12 PM   #7

If it has to use tanks while being parked in its most regular spot I vote for the tanks in the pickup-easy to move and drain system.
Pntyrmvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post
If it has to use tanks while being parked in its most regular spot I vote for the tanks in the pickup-easy to move and drain system.
This is sort of the way I'm leaning. Just regular household plumbing on out below the floor, then flex hose it to the back of my Toyota. Run the Toyota to the clean out rather than the box truck.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:38 AM   #9

Iím actually looking at propane toilet that burn the shit. So no black water to deal with. Just grey

JC
jcdostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdostie View Post
Iím actually looking at propane toilet that burn the shit. So no black water to deal with. Just grey

JC
Welcome to the forum. I saw a used one for sale at $2,500. I kind of ruled hat option out.