Join Truck Conversion Today
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 7
Default New guy with a question regarding total length

After much searching and studying many different platforms and combinations in regards to camping/hauling/towing I have come to the conclusion that a Class 8 motorcoach conversion is the way to go for me.

My biggest interest is rockcrawling in a Hemi-powered Jeep w/1-ton axles. My next interest is boating and I'm trying to convince a friend to sell me his Supra Sunrider wakeboard boat he hasn't used in two years.

I currently tow with a 2004 Kodiak 'Monroe' conversion - basically a big comfortable dually pick-up with air ride suspension, air ride cab and air ride seats. I sleep in a tent when I get to where I'm going. My future sees me travelling more often and to farther places to escape cold Canadian winters and to enjoy some amazing offroad trails in the Southern States.

The main reason I like the Class 8's vs. other platforms is for it's towing capacity. I have no qualms about towing my 5500 lb Jeep on it's 2000 lb 20 ft flatdeck, or the boat I hope to acquire. What I'd really like to do though is find a 32-35 ft flatdeck that I can haul the Jeep and the boat on. I'm sure any Class 8 has the capacity to handle this, but I fear the combination will put me over length. Yet I often see long motorcoaches towing long enclosed race trailers.

What are your thoughts?
__________________

RgdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
bushpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tomball
Posts: 1,399
Default

im about 65 feet flat towing our JK/Wrangler....no reason i couldnt put the jeep on our 18ft (open) car trailer but then ive got to deal w/ where to put the trailer when i get to a campground....i think youd be fine to pull the jeep on a flat trailer and still be under 70 ft easily.



last fall (during our travels from virginia to texas) we saw a guy (happened to be from ontario) w/ this set up....i think a class 8 conversation like ours would do a better job of it but the trailer was pretty trick.

if anything i suspect he could have clearance issues (since the boat is over the roof of the coach)...he's gotta be over 13' 6"...

__________________

__________________
Don R.
'04 Haulmark (M42386) 42', 2 slide, 10kw - Pictures
'04 F350 CrewCab Longbed 4x4, 50g aux tank & gear vendors dbl over
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
im about 65 feet flat towing our JK/Wrangler....no reason i couldnt put the jeep on our 18ft (open) car trailer but then ive got to deal w/ where to put the trailer when i get to a campground....i think youd be fine to pull the jeep on a flat trailer and still be under 70 ft easily.



last fall (during our travels from virginia to texas) we saw a guy (happened to be from ontario) w/ this set up....i think a class 8 conversation like ours would do a better job of it but the trailer was pretty trick.

if anything i suspect he could have clearance issues (since the boat is over the roof of the coach)...he's gotta be over 13' 6"...

I love that trailer set-up but have to wonder how he raises the boat up there. Definitely an interesting way to tow two vehicles.
RgdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:50 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
bushpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tomball
Posts: 1,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RgdL View Post
I love that trailer set-up but have to wonder how he raises the boat up there. Definitely an interesting way to tow two vehicles.
he backs the cadillac escalade suv off, then lowers the boat (electric lift motors)....then connects the trailer to the suv and launches the boat w/ the suv.
__________________
Don R.
'04 Haulmark (M42386) 42', 2 slide, 10kw - Pictures
'04 F350 CrewCab Longbed 4x4, 50g aux tank & gear vendors dbl over
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
he backs the cadillac escalade suv off, then lowers the boat (electric lift motors)....then connects the trailer to the suv and launches the boat w/ the suv.
Ingenious!! I was looking at the trailer's structure to see how that might work. It doesn't appear that the risers supporting the top portion of the trailer have the ability to lower vertically (as in a piston or hydraulic shaft) so that the boat rests directly onto the lower deck, so I'm assuming the risers are hinged at the bottom and swing either forward or behind the bottom deck to lower the boat?

Any idea where one might find such a trailer? Although I'm fairly certain it must have been a custom built one-off.
RgdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 7
Default

Looking at it again, I think I can see that the boat deck slides down the four risers somehow. I also notice what appear to be 'stops' at each corner of the lower deck that support the top deck in lowered position. What may be deceiving in the photo....it looks like the boat is wider than the space between the risers which would prevent such a maneuver.
RgdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
bushpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tomball
Posts: 1,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RgdL View Post
Ingenious!! I was looking at the trailer's structure to see how that might work. It doesn't appear that the risers supporting the top portion of the trailer have the ability to lower vertically (as in a piston or hydraulic shaft) so that the boat rests directly onto the lower deck, so I'm assuming the risers are hinged at the bottom and swing either forward or behind the bottom deck to lower the boat?

Any idea where one might find such a trailer? Although I'm fairly certain it must have been a custom built one-off.
Double Deck Trailers | The Built Rite Trailer | by Sport Trailers, Inc.

its hard to see but the boat is on a deck, the boat deck travels inside a "c-channel" of the vertical frame.

like this -




they make a lighter (combined) weight that does the layback, like you were talking about.

__________________
Don R.
'04 Haulmark (M42386) 42', 2 slide, 10kw - Pictures
'04 F350 CrewCab Longbed 4x4, 50g aux tank & gear vendors dbl over
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
bushpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tomball
Posts: 1,399
Default

buy this one for $15.9k <ouch>....but then again it beats the hell outta a 35ft $60k enclosed stacker.

2008 Built Rite 7098 Double Deck Boat RV ATV SUV Harley Stacker SCCA APBA Bass 1 in Trailers | eBay Motors
__________________
Don R.
'04 Haulmark (M42386) 42', 2 slide, 10kw - Pictures
'04 F350 CrewCab Longbed 4x4, 50g aux tank & gear vendors dbl over
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
Double Deck Trailers | The Built Rite Trailer | by Sport Trailers, Inc.

its hard to see but the boat is on a deck, the boat deck travels inside a "c-channel" of the vertical frame.

like this -




they make a lighter (combined) weight that does the layback, like you were talking about.


Very impressive! In fact that white one is perfect because I could also haul my Harley.

Thanks for all the help Bushpilot.
RgdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
bushpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tomball
Posts: 1,399
Default

honestly i dont like it - sure it LOOKS cool, but i think its trouble...

it's definitely over 13' 6" tall w/ a boat up there - youre gonna have to plan your routes and really watch the over pass clearances.
__________________

__________________
Don R.
'04 Haulmark (M42386) 42', 2 slide, 10kw - Pictures
'04 F350 CrewCab Longbed 4x4, 50g aux tank & gear vendors dbl over
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.