Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #1

Default travel trailer on a truck

Hi everyone need some advise I know its been done just want it to be right. I want to put a travel trailer minus the axles of coarse on my 281 pete it has 230 wb 16 feet of frame rail rear axle right at the end of the frame. The travel trailer I have is 26 feet I will have to add frame rail to the rear of my truck this I know. Is the 10 feet rear overhang going to be ok and look good?

marvgarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #2

If it was me, the first thing I would do is weight the axles and find out what your capacities are
Then determine if you need/can/should modify the frame length.
I say this with experience as my first Freightliner 256"wb with 12k front was close to capacity with an empty 4400 lb van body on the frame rails (that little exercise cost $70k by the time I was done)
Your overhang appearance is strictly your preference. My conversion has 5 feet from the rear tire to rear wall, some have more some have less.
The truck also has a 16k front axle and fully loaded it still has room for more weight upfront but not much.
Good luck with your project.

Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #3

Weight and balance is critical. Gordy knows of what he speaks.
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #4

I well made travel trailer should have the center of gravity slightly ahead of the center pivot on the axle. Use this to figure out where to place the trailer on the truck.