Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #1

Default Pass-Through discussion: Uni-Grip Accordian Seal Gasket

ED-5386 24/ft $5.25/ft

This is the 2 to 7 inch product I see so many people using.

Seems it comes in minimum 24 feet.... Is that what everyone has ended up buying, a full 24 feet of this seal?

______

Second, after looking at as many examples as I can find, it seems that most people are cutting a relatively narrow pass through. On truck conversions that are done "professionally" I usually see a much larger pass through to open up the space quite a bit more.

Seems to me that might weaken the cab structure a bit, and that I should keep the pass through to a minimum... i.e. more narrow. There is a window there, which naturally will have to be dealt with, and I'm sure removing a large patch of the rear of the cab will not enhance rollover protection.

On the flip side (boy I don't like that pun), if my box stays on the truck, there is a granny attic over the cab, which I would hope helps protect the cab.

I'm trying to think of advantages and disadvantages to opening up the space more maximally. As I plan on putting in a pair of seats, left and right of the pass through in my extended cab... I don't see much value, and in fact, HVAC considerations for just heating and cooling the cab are probably easier with smaller opening.

Thoughts?

Alex.

xyobgyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:10 AM   #2

A lot of people just use a small sleeper boot. I cut out about all of my rear wall.
Then you build a frame around opening to rivet or screw boot to it. Then just figure out how much you need and add couple feet.

volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:16 PM   #3

Default Pass Through

Truck arrives next week.

I was hoping for some input on pro/con for larger or narrower openings from the Cab.

I'm thinking narrow is better, it will allow me to put more items, possibly cabinets or storage up against that back wall inside the box. There doesn't seem to be much point in opening up space behind a pair of seats where you can't walk back anyway.

Any advantages to opening up the whole back of the Cab into the Living Quarters?

I'm still planning a pair of seats left and right of the cutoff in the extended cab...

Alex.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #4

Alex,
My opening is around 5' wide and about 4.5 tall any smaller you'll feel the tightness and will be awkwardly to pass thru.
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:10 AM   #5

Default Thanks

I haven’t decided if I’m buying a two sets of 60/40 seats to get rear seats, or ordering new ones from a custom site.

I’ll bevsure to go as wide as I can so that limiting width is the rear seats, not the pass thru.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #6

I just found a picture of you truck. I like the box and think that it will be a good starting point for a conversion. The cab on your truck is common to pickup and med-duty trucks which don't usually have a sleeper thus making a pass through is a little bit more tricky. The full-width rear window does present a challenge. Conversions on medium duty trucks are pretty common. Maybe you can find some pictures online of conversions on Ford trucks to see how they solve the problem.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #7

delete please
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:52 PM   #8

CHeck out the thread on the Ski Bum truck build he starts working on the pass-through on page 4. http://www.truckconversion.net/forum...54/index5.html
Old 01-21-2018, 09:29 PM   #9

Go to accordionboot.com. You can get a sample and then order what you need by the food.

https://www.facebook.com/70960530253...7923269035898/

Don’t be afraid to cut it open to what ever you want. If you build your coach right. It will give you cab the strength it needs.

Firststoprv is offline   Reply With Quote