Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-25-2020, 08:51 AM   #1

Default My first toterhome

I, like many folks who have joined this sight grew up watching big rigs on the highway, fascinated by them. Having watched movies like Convoy, Hijack and of course Duel, I always wanted my own rig. Watching how the industry has treated drivers over the years tho kept me from wanting that as a career, twenty or thirty years too late i suppose. Still wanted my own truck and through this forum found out my dream could come true! I recently became the owner of a 1977 (i know dear lord &#128518 359 Peterbilt logging truck I intend on building out. Have not fully decided whether to mount a box on the chassis or go HDT style with a pull behind travel trailer. This is going to be likely a year and a half build at least, i will happily share my progress to those interested. I have a great deal of questions so anyone who is willing to give some helpful pointers I'd really appreciate that. Here included is a couple shots of my truck and one idea i was going with. Thank you all for the help 👍
Attached Thumbnails
VideoCapture_20200516-173405.jpg   20200422_184241.jpg   20200404_213013.jpg   20191226_171251.jpg  

Roadkomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:30 PM   #2

Welcome. I enjoy seeing the old stuff resurrected.

Please keep posting photos of your progress.

Pntyrmvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:45 PM   #3

That’s awesome! Take your time with your build....this isn’t a race and you will find lots of things you would change if you rush through it
Ttnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:21 AM   #4

Depends do you have the money for RV parks to park such rig pulling a trailer, cause most campgrounds with a semi pulling a trailer won't fit such accommodations.I have years of experience traveling and learned from them. The mount the box on the chassis is the cheapest way, yields less room, easier to maneuver, less maintenance, more free campgrounds you can fit in and lastly won't leak like a travel trailer. Here is what I speak from on experience
https://www.truckconversion.net/foru...kenstein-7841/
Weldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:19 AM   #5

Thank you for the heads up Weldman on the travel trailer, its true I would honestly rather have one solid rig rather than have to worry about towing/backing especially with my wheelbase.

This is going to be a long and thoughtful process eventually there will be a build channel but that will be in fall hopefully. Thank you for the support everyone!
Roadkomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:00 PM   #6

Our first, the store bought box is a plus. We just got inside with a tape measure and spray can of paint..laid out how we wanted it and went to building. About 14 mo start to finish. All in the backyard.
Attached Thumbnails
camper.jpg  
kmurphy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy72 View Post
Our first, the store bought box is a plus. We just got inside with a tape measure and spray can of paint..laid out how we wanted it and went to building. About 14 mo start to finish. All in the backyard.
Any solar panels on the roof of that rig? Looks like a lot of real estate waiting for some panels on that roof.
Weldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:49 PM   #8

Do you have any build pictures?
6cuda6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:05 PM   #9

I built mine on a 1982 359. It took over three years and cost a lot. I am glad I did it. You should think about what you plan to use it for. Since I build mine my use has changed . I no longer pull a race trailer. I just bought a motorcycle and built a carrier for the motorhome. When I was planning my build, I also used a 359 model and built bodies to try to get a feel for the look. I also agree that the function should be the first consideration. I think the 36 foot overall length would give you around 25 foot of floor space. My hole build is under coach in the making "frame welding" Good luck and have fun Kenn.
Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:20 PM   #10

https://youtu.be/qW1PnBDn1dM

Firststoprv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
359, hdt, peterbilt, toterhome