Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community > Truck Conversion Talk > Building Your Own
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 08-12-2011, 11:46 PM   #1

Default How do I pick it up???

So the time has come to move the ambulance box from the van to the International. Now what is the best way to do that? I was thinking about renting a 10k forklift, it there a better way?

Dodger

Old 08-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #2

Default The "heavy lift!"

I am an unpaid "helper" at a local HDT fabrication shop. In exchange for my floor sweeping ability, coffee making, and general "gophering around" I get to learn all about the construction of class 8 trucks and how to modify cabs and sleepers.

My first assigned project was to take a 379 Pete cab and sleeper and reduce it down to sizes which would fit into a scap metal condola. It took me two weeks, but I really learned a lot. I guess the best way to find out how something is put together is to take one apart!

Now, onto your question. I do not know the size of your ambulance box, nor its weight. But, we regularly lift entire cab/sleeper combinations with a 6K forklift with extended slide-on forks.

When the Morgan dearler placed my 16' box onto the frame rails of my 379, he used the same method. However, at his facility he also had a large overhead crane he used for really heavy lifts, if needed.

Rather than rent a forklift, I would first contact some of your local truck upfitters and see what they have available. I can't believe it would cost more than renting a forklift, plus, they are experienced in setting boxes and securing them to the frame.

Of course, if your mindset is to do it yourself, the forklift with extended forks would work fine; just make sure you do it on a flat, level, hard surface.

Good luck, and please post and let us all know what it went!

Highway OPie (Speed Gray) Grand Rapids, MI: 2003 Peterbilt 379 Motorhome; 550 hp 6NZ Caterpillar C15, Eaton-Fuller 18 speed transmission, 3.36 rear; 63" sleeper and 16' Morgan box.(highwayopie@aol.com). There are many Peterbilts, but this one is mine!
Highway OPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #3

Default Picture

I should have included this in my previous post . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 671.jpg  
Highway OPie (Speed Gray) Grand Rapids, MI: 2003 Peterbilt 379 Motorhome; 550 hp 6NZ Caterpillar C15, Eaton-Fuller 18 speed transmission, 3.36 rear; 63" sleeper and 16' Morgan box.(highwayopie@aol.com). There are many Peterbilts, but this one is mine!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #4

Jack the ambulance body up and drive out from under it like you would a truck camper. I did this when I rebuilt the flat bed on my 1 ton.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #5

I was thinking that maybe a shop with a two point lift might be the ticket. I guess I need to look for a truck shop that does semi's. The box is rather small and very heavy. It is 12' long by 8' wide. It tips the scales at 7400 pounds. While I could remove the generator to lighten it up a bit. It is a very solid box with very 1/4" thick walls. I can't wait to get it done, but I seem to never to have time anymore. I guess I need to make time.

Dodger
Old 08-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #6

Default Picking it up!

Dodger:

Here is a pic of the company I bought my dry box. They have a very large overhead crane inside the building, but outside slao have a smaller lift for medium size loads. For small stuff, like the box I bought from them, they just use a forklift.

Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	160
Old 08-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #7

Forklift worked great for our 12 foot toter box. Only took about five minutes to install. Picked it up and center it over the driveway and backed the truck under it. MMM
Attached Thumbnails
toter update 2 013.jpg   toter update 2 014.jpg   toter update 2 015.jpg  
mmmc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:45 PM   #8

Talking

If you don't have the equipment or ability to safely jack and block the body up so you can drive one truck out and back the other one under the body find someone with the knowledge and equipment to lift the body and set it on the new truck safely. If everything is unbolted and ready to go 15 minuites with a 6 of 8k forklift should be sufficient.

SHORTS is offline   Reply With Quote