Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-07-2004, 01:36 PM   #1

I've read a little about the class 8 motorhomes and maybe someday I will be able to afford one. Until then, I really enjoy admiring trucks owned by others...

My question is: Why aren't cabovers used as much as conventionals when building a motorhome? I know the cabs have to tilt to gain access to the motors, but with some removable panels and a good sealing boot between the truck and the home portion, that issue could be solved.

I've also read that the cabovers ride rougher than the conventionals but have read you can soften their rides and their forward views have to be superior to the conventionals right?

Anyhoo, could somebody comment about the cabover versus the conventionals when building motorhomes and why they aren't used?

I see so much benefit from putting the driver closer to the front bumper. That would increase living space aft of the driver seats yes?

Thanks.

BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 12:25 PM   #2

Well you cited a couple of the issues with them. Ride being a significant issue. The mechanics of making the cab accessable from the living space are probably fairly tricky. On the positive side you can get superior manueverability out of a cabover. You could just not connect the cab and just run an intercom. Most women probably would prefer not to have to climb into a cabover and it is tough to arrange the sleeper section so that you can have more passengers up there comfortably. On the other side you can get good ones cheap. They are not being sold much anymore. Freightliner was totally COE till the mid 70's. If you crack the code and come up with a way to make it work, more power to you.
Kevin

2k PSD F-250 dually conversion
Alpenlite Durango Camper
Thinking Retro - Needlenose Pete KW or early Freightliner Conventional - Pre Diamler Benz

kblackav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 11:49 AM   #3

They are ugly.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 07:39 PM   #4

Please, Patrick, tell us how you really feel!
Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:01 PM   #5

that would be U G L Y
ugly is only skin deep but U G L Y is to the bone
5erFool (John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:04 PM   #6

I'm thinkin' maybe a 70's model GMC Crackerbox with a nice box on the back.....

318 Detroit and a 13 spd.........

Retro........and
Old 07-13-2004, 06:29 PM   #7

I'm also interested in the cabovers because I want to build a 40' box to go behind the cab and still stay inside most length laws. Any more advise? Cowboy cadilac has said they have a kit I can install myself is this a viable possibility?

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote