Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-26-2012, 03:18 AM   #1

Default Box truck conversion

In the ongoing series "doodeling and dreaming"

What I want is a max 30' truck with cab (9-10'), minimal living quarters for two (10') and the rest garage.

Of course the only thing between me and a nice long meeting with a designer at a top grade conversion company is that minor matter of the budget.

So one line of thought is to get a box truck and convert it. (Which is why I am on this forum). I've got the cutters, grinders, torches and welders and somewhat know how to use them.

So again, I'm thinking about converting a box truck. (Reefer maybe? would take care of insulation.......) The first questions that pop up are:

1:Connecting the box to the truck. Assuming the cab is un-sprung and doesn't move in relation to the box, are there seals out there that one can bolt on? Fiberglass fairing pieces? Or do I have to fabricate those? Can I cut out the back of the cab without major structural consequences? I know I'll probably have to put a header in the box over the opening.

2:Suspension. Most trucks are a pretty hard ride until they reach their rated load, which I probably wont reach with an interior fit out. How involved and expensive is installing an improved (air?) suspension?

3:I see a lot of trucks out there with 250K + miles out there. I am thinking that's not a lot and there's another 200+ in there for me without major repairs......am I dreaming? This is an example of what I'm liking (minus the side doors....)

http://www.truckertotrucker.com/listings/144661.cfm

This one's too long, but a heck of a truck....

http://www.truckertotrucker.com/trucking/box-trucks.cfm

Any other comments? Any links to someone who's done this?

Thanks.

Oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #2

Oscarvan, you should check out my posts through the years. I built a truck very much like what you're describing. My total to date (including the truck and customizing) was under $30k. I learned a lot from the forum and from personal experience. After reading through my posts, if you wish, PM me and I'll send you my phone number.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #3

Cool, will do!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #4

Think I've read the majority of what's on here between 09 and mid 11. Too bad the conversation fizzled somewhat at that point. Particularly like your sound deadening crusade. I know I'll be on one of those too, and it sounds like you've saved me a lot of research time.

Right now I am in the final stages of restoring a sail boat. Once that finishes (mid summer) I can seriously look at getting a truck. I pull our tag along camper with a Chevvy 2500HD with the Dmax/Allison but that's also my daily driver. Getting a TC for RV-ing and a small fuel efficient vehicle for daily driving would be about dollar neutral....
Old 03-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #5

give me a shout when you're ready and I'll save you some mistakes.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #6

Thanks!

Yesterday spent some time digging through the regulations and talking to a few people. It appears there's a LOT of RV'ers out there breaking the law, which fortunately is not enforced too much. But as many pointed out, if there is a mishap it becomes an issue.

The box conversion is to create a vehicle that will serve to 1: haul the gear we carry, 2: to provide for one or two night accommodations as well as "class A walkthrough" style accommodations while on the road, and 3: pull larger accommodations for longer trips.

Initially I will pull our Keystone Cougar 29BHS which is well under 10000 pounds, no problem. But later on I want to convert a tall 30 footer to our specifications.

Most under 26000 trucks do NOT come with a specified MCVW. (max combined) So, the trailer weight comes out of the truck MGVW. Plus, a lot of those trucks don't have the horses to pulll a 15K trailer. 210 or 250 is not enough.

So, it appears I will need a 33K truck. 14 empty, 5 for the conversion (wag) that leaves 14K for the trailer. Plus, the bigger trucks have 350+ horses, preferably more, and will pull all that I need to do. I HATE being underpowered.

So, according to the PENNDOT folks I need a non commercial class B to drive the truck, and a non commercial class A to pull the trailer as it is over 10K.

Problem is, the driving schools either teach your kid to drive a car, or there's CDL schools, nothing in between. I can however take out a learners permit and take the driving test. A buddy has a class A so he can cover that legal angle. (Driving me to the test.) Since it is a non commercial add on there appears to be no additional knowledge tests required.

So, I am looking for a classic full size Pete or Kenworth or similar, with a fully loaded cockpit, a 20 foot box, air ride, a rail lift, a hitch plate and no more than a couple hundred K miles for around 25K...... anyone?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #7

Here is the truck conversion "RV" I built on a budget.
My F-700 RV/jeep transport build thread - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

good luck with your build
mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #8

Very cool.....well done!
Old 04-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #9

Default Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanic View Post
Here is the truck conversion "RV" I built on a budget.
My F-700 RV/jeep transport build thread - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

good luck with your build
Very nice indeed. I have a 95 International 4700 I am going to do a very similar project with. I liked the whole thread you posted on the other site. I am more than a little curious about the finish inside. Insulation, wall materials, etc. The windows/door came out fantastic. At the moment, I am thinking about leaving the original side door in place, instead of using a RV door. I hope to post pics soon. I think my overhang is larger than yours tho.. mine is a crazy 6'...but I am going to put a twin bed towards the box end and a wire shelf (or something else lightweight) for clothes storage for the rest of the attic. Not sure what the 2 rails supporting the attic are rated for, but dont want to find out the hard way I put too much up there...lol
AKat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #10

Default Mistakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Weaver View Post
give me a shout when you're ready and I'll save you some mistakes.
I wouldnt mind some advice myself. I am at the very beginning stages of the project, the truck arrives this week. It's a 1995 International 4700. 466 cummings is a little lighter than I hoped for, but I am not towing anything (at least not planning on it) so it will get the RV where it's going
The box is 25' with a 6' overhang. The overhang will be a twin bed with wire shelving (or some other lightweight material) for extra clothing storage. The last 10' (possibly cutting that down to 8') of the box is the workshop. I work for a travelling show, and I carry a bunch of tools (my tools are worth more than this conversion..lol). So I am thinking a 10' workshop/storage. It also has a liftgate to make life easier (and as I get older, I realize how much I like easier..lol)
AKat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #11

Akat, I have the same type of deal. We install sound and video in churches across the nation and the back 10 feet of my truck is for tools and such. The best advice is to draw it up as many ways as possible before you start. I may not have the prettiest truck or have the best interior flow, but I believe I made the most room with the limited space.

Feel free to contact me as well. As I have said before, many people from this forum helped me and I am glad to pass the help along.