Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2006, 07:29 PM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 748

Found an interesting CA DMV link re license classes and towing capacities for vehicles designated as housecars, begins on page 4, in their book titled "Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook". You may have to cut and paste the link.

Class C license (CA's standard issue) and driving a housecar (rv), for max length you must be 40' and under and for max weight you must be 26k for 2 axle coach and 6k for 3 axle and can tow a single trailer up to 10k, including a tow dolley if used.

Class B non commercial license, you can drive up to 45' and tow a single trailer up to 10k.

Class A non commercial license, you can drive up to 45' and can tow over 10k for a travel trailer and over 15k for a fifth wheel.

Something intersting might be found here

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5

According to dmv hand book and according to chp you need a class b commercial if gross weight of moterhome and or tow vehecial is over 26,000lbs. Class a commercial is required if tag trailer is over 10,000lbs or fifth-wheel trailer is over 15,000 unless trailer is travel trailer then a class a non-commercial. This is why I got my class b commercial with air brake endorsment. This way I am covered. Also length dose not matter. The best explation of these is in the commercial license handbook.

orangebang40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:36 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Norco, CA
Posts: 107

Sorry guys, thats WRONG.

In CA, you can drive ANY HOUSECAR UP TO 40FT in lenght, and tow up to 10K with the standard class c license.

What you read on page 4 of the document is OR.OR.OR.

either 2 axle up to 26K,
OR 3 axle up to 6K,
OR ANY HOUSECOACH UP TO 40FT. So, length does matter (always does,, but weight DOES NOT for a RV.

You used to be able to drive ANY RV with standard class C license when we had the 40 ft limit. When they opened RVs up to 45 ft, the added the non-commercial class B for RVs over 40ft.

As you can see that (RV between 40 and 45ft) is the ONLY item listed under non-commercial class B.

You dont need any commercial license whatsoever for a PRIVAT RV. Racers, business... thats a complete different discussion we already had in many other threads.

So, in CA with your standard class C license (and because of license reciprocity in any other state as long as you are propery licensed - and live - here in CA) you can drive a 40ft 3 axle housecar with lets say 50,000 lb. Hey, something good about our state here, right?

Just take the DMV booklet with you, as most LOEs in other states DO NOT KNOW that CA does not go by the usual 26K weight.
WalliK is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.