Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #1

Do you like the two large side windows in the conversion here? http://truckconversion.net/photopost...php?photo=1322

I like the idea of large opening windows shown here:

http://truckconversion.net/photopost...php?photo=1324

http://truckconversion.net/photopost/showphoto.php?phot...&size=medium&cat=500

from the ebay ad here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/motor-home_W0QQitemZ1102...ash=item110233757808

Here are some of the specs from the ad:

1998 Kenworth T300 Kenworth, 58k miles.

300 Cat, 9speed, Air ride, air brake, Jake brake, cruise, air,AM/FM/CD/ XM, PR wind, CB, w/1998 Alumiline box/8ft bed, 5th wheel and reciver hitch, airline to rear for trailer, 2006 conv., leather couch & dinette, satalite. w/ TV/dvd/cd, fridge,freezer, microwave, sink, roof air, oversize bath, 7500wt gen.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #2

I will tell you that is one of my issues with conversions right now. It is like living in a cave, with the small windows they install. Also the lack of storage space, not creatively using available space, and so on.

I understand most companies will build a "custom" unit, but if they haven't worked out the engineering for such changes you could be in for some surprises.

I just ran through a number of conversion manufacturers websites and it is one copy cat after another. No innovation what so ever. Shoot all any of these guys have to do is look at some of the RV manufacturers ideas and they would move the industry forward by about 5 to 10 years.

All I can figure is that conversion sales must be so good, innovation is not needed.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:44 PM   #3

Warpath

Since you've owned two truck conversions, knowing what you do now, would you have built them/ordered them differently to include more or larger windows or skylights to let in more light and fresh air...?
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #4

Absolutely!

Not so much skylights since they scratch over time, and have more potential to leak, but definitely bigger and more windows. Also I noticed that most companies run shorter slides, not as high as RV. So they leave alot of unused space above the slide and below the ceiling, which means smaller cabinets in the slide. I think there can be alot more attention paid to the little things that wouldn't drive the cost that much higher, but would exponentially increase the enjoyment of living in a conversion.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:03 PM   #5

.....cost of materials times 8 or 10 = wholesale to dealer times 2 to final customer........I think they are stuck.....Perry Georgia only had about 5-6 conversions showing.....nothing really new -just a killer price tag and a lot of glitz that makes the owner look like a movie star or something like that....outside and inside both-flashy paint and murals with a lot of cheap paneling and now fake wood trim-plastic foam covered with vinal decal material.....not the quality of a few years ago-decor is all flashy/trashy and made of cheap materials-cloth and vinal instead of leathers and too much shiny chrome and lighting......kinda reminds me of professional wrestling glitz....geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:50 AM   #6

Did you see the size of the compartments of the Kibbi in Georgia? THEY WERE PITIFUL. So small and who the hell are you going to cook for on that baby q grill? They have made the conversions more A like in finish but they haven't figured out a way to do that and make killer storage. I'm surprised no one has tried to make a large pass thru bin behind the rear axles. Also Kibbi still looses three bins for tanks alone, for the money it ain't worth it. Alledgedly they sold the brown one there.

I like windows, no sense living in a cave. You can always pul lthe shade down. Plus with kids it make sit easier to track em in my opinon.
Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:15 PM   #7

....one other thing that was apparent to me was the audaciously paint jobs on the outside of the coach seem to be there only to make up for the lack of designed in space...as issue that you and I share Camping Dutchman......I don't know what happened to their design team but they must have been let go or something.....outside grill was good for 2 at the most but other than that was a waste of money if any larger family involved in Rv'ing.....human waste is still an issue that can be solved by electric evaporative toilet-once you get used to it you will never go back to "old stinky".....conversions are taking a back seat to bus type motor homes and that sort of thing....must be an RVMA issue....shame, people are missing the boat when they get away from Class 8 tractors with trailers.......or conversion truck chassis.....geofkaye

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote