Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 08-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #1

Default Turning Radius

I have a 1989 FLD120 which has been strectched and a 12' living quarters added. The new wheelbase is about 294" I'm pretty sure that no changes were made to the front end when the conversion was done. The wheels do not turn very sharp and I am having lots of trouble getting around corners. I'm really going to be in trouble when I start pulling a trailer. Any ideas on how to get tighter turning?
Attached Thumbnails
freight1.jpg  

Old 08-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #2

Most mdt's and hdt's have a pretty good turning radius to start with, I know my Topkick turns on a dime as compared to my extended cab dually. I can make a U-turn in that where the dually would have to back up twice, and the wheel base is 6' longer than the dually. Obviously the wheelbase affects that on your truck, but there are rigs way longer than yours out there pulling really long race trailers.

I would check for steering bump stops, normally located on the axle, which limit the travel of the spindle and how sharp you can turn. Normally those can be shortened or modified to allow the truck to turn sharper. You do have to be careful that you don't let it turn sharp enough where you can damage anything like steering components, suspension components, air lines, etc.. Basically first you need to find the stops, normally one on each side, and with the steering wheel as far as it will go in either direction determine if there is enough clearance to allow the wheels to turn sharper. Make sure the tire will not rub on anything critical, and the steering will not bind. At that point you can shorten the stops to allow more steering travel. Be conservative at first, easy to trim a little more, harder to put it back if you find you cut too much.

hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #3

dont mess with bumps on axle. spindles have a square head bolt that hit on axle. loosen lock nut and screw bolt in. have some one turn steering wheel all the way to check. dont hold steering all the way to long. pump will get hot. make sure tire dosent hit any thing.
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote