Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #1

Recently I received the response below from a fellow who has an RV rig for sale. http://tinyurl.com/gujy2

I have not heard the method of measuring RV's described quite this way before. This answer came as I had questioned the legality of his vehicle as the bumper to bumper length is 80' and referenced the information which I found here http://www.wecamp2.com/size.html

Appreciate any comments from the group.

David A. Scott
57ChevyPkUp
Central Coast, California

The 80 foot length they are referring to is only the length from the tire axles that actually touch the road surface. As far as length of two units or three is not really a issue. The length laws are the distance between the axles, not bumpers. In Ga. a commercial vehicle does have restricted lengths off on some secondary roads but you are not driving a commercial vehicle, this tractor uses a tag like a car, it is a recreational vehicle, not tractor/trailer and not commercial licenses. Recreational vehicles do not have the same requirements that commercial trucks have. If this truck's title was registered any other way, you would have to meet other requirements, such as license, DOT scales, physicals, drug screening and plates. Registered as a RV, it is just like your personal vehicle.

Chevy57PkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:50 PM   #2

..."Ohio" is not correct....the trailer can't be any longer than 53' no matter what[without permit] -the tractor part can be any length......geof

Old 03-27-2006, 03:19 PM   #3

In this instance we aren't talking about a trailer longer then 53"

The question in my mind is, with a total ovel all length of 80' tractor and trailer when connected; where do the limits expressed in the url referenced come into play if at all. Apparently the whole trailer length question also hinges on the distance from the king pin to the axle. And some roads are one type and others are another. I've started asking CHP officers and even they give you different answers although they do seem unaimous in that over all length cannot exceed 65' in California except with a special permit. It remains a very, very confusing issue to me.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:43 AM   #4

Well, i though its rather clear. For example in CA 65' is 65'. period.

Different for some special combos, cottonpicker, log trucks.. stuff like that.

BUT.. 65 is total lengh (if you look they do not count collapsable bumpers in some instances, same as they dont count awning and safetly features, turn signals, mirrors when checking the 102" width).

Never ever heard that onyone would count only from axles that touch the street.... BS.
WalliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 04:18 PM   #5

Chevy57Pkup-
Maybe you should tell us exactly what you are confused about. You mention talking to CHP officers about this, which tells me you are (or have been) in Calif. IF in fact you live or travel thru Calif., you live by Calif. rules, which say 65' max length, no matter what, because I doubt you want to mess w/special permits all the time. I fail to see what is confusing here.....
Gary
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:20 PM   #6

Hi Gary - While it is tru I live in California, I'll be changing my legal residence to somewhere that insurance won't suck me dry and where hopefully there aren't as many over zealous state mounties as there are in California. What I find confusing is the widely varied interpertations of the various and different rules, guidelines etc. Especially where commercial vehicles are being used as RV's. Since this subject seems to always stir up so much heat I think I'll let it rest and go about my business. Then again.... What if you get a commercial driver's license, license your vehicle as commercial and pay the insurance???? Then can I have a big one, huh? huh?
Old 03-29-2006, 06:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Then again.... What if you get a commercial driver's license, license your vehicle as commercial and pay the insurance???? Then can I have a big one, huh? huh?
Tom Meents, the monster truck driver lives near me. He said that he licenses his monster truck hauler as a commercial rig and it costs him $6500 for tags and insurance before he pulls out of the driveway. That doesn't include a few other fuel and excise taxes that he pays.

I just got the insurance bill for my Freightliner. $285/ 6 months and annual license fee of $102. That's a long way from $6500 the way I see it.

John (C-IL) is offline   Reply With Quote